Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85477 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Sam Raimi
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
#82 Sam Raimi Ranked List

Throughout the 80s and 90s, I never missed a Sam Raimi film. While i never made a great one, his style just put a big smile on my face. In my memory, I watched Evil Dead II almost every day. It seems like everything imploded when he aimed for artistic credibility in the late 90s and then blockbuster success with his Spider-Man Trilogy. Drag Me to Hell was a nice return to his roots, but the bloat of Oz the Great and Powerful seemed to have stripped his soul. Still, I'm surprised it's taken him so long to make another feature.

Another Director where I have nothing to watch and can't find a reason to re-watch anything.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Richard Linklater
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2018, 12:46:33 AM »
Finally, a director I can spend some time with.

#83 Richard Linklater Ranked List

Like many (but certainly not all) I think Linklater is one of the best directors working today. He doesn't make the kind of films I rush out to the theater for, but I usually finish with some level of satisfaction and a few are really great, even if nothing has landed on my Essentials.

This is a great opportunity to watch his newest film, Last Flag Flying (2017). I'm also going to catch up with Me and Orson Welles (2008) and re-watch Tape (2001), which I've only seen once but remember liking a lot. That leaves the only popular Linklater film I haven't seen as Bad News Bears, and I'm good with that.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Sam Mendes
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
#84 Sam Mendes Ranked List

I've seen all 7 of Mendes features even though I only like 4 of them. That's partly because he started with American Beauty which contains one of my favorite scenes of all time. Mendes technical craft produces more emotional ice than Christopher Nolan and the more his films want you to care about the characters from an un-ironic distance the more I want to punch them in the face. (For those who don't know, that phrase originated from Matty Ballgame's review of Away We Go.)

There is some of Mendes stage work that was filmed for broadcast and might be available on the internet, but I'm not interested in seeing Cabaret, Company or King Lear as staged by Mendes so I'm moving on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Rob Zombie
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
#85 Rob Zombie Ranked List

For the record, I love the music of Rob Zombie. I purchased many of them on cassette or CD and saw him in concert where he put on a heck of a show. I even got to meet him, shake his hand and all that. Maybe that's why I keep watching these terrible movies, hoping that his grindhouse music will translate one day to movie form. In this poll, I voted "don't like any" and I'm doubting that I ever will.

When I saw Rob Zombie's name, I thought I'd be moving onto the next director. Then I noticed 31, his sadistic clown movie which I know I'll probably watch one day. Then I remembered my watch of The Lords of Salem was just last August and I came to my senses.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Rainer Werner Fassbinder
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
#86 Rainer Werner Fassbinder Ranked List

I thought I've been slowly picking away at Fassbinder's prolific output, but I've actually seen very little. I don't have a strong opinion on him, more intrigued than anything, and I feel with so many projects there's bound to be a combination of style and script that's just right for me. (All of his theatrical features on IMDB are rated above 6.5)

I don't know how many titles I'll get to, and I'm also looking at goodguy's list for recommendations. So I'll definitely be aiming for...
Katzelmacher
Händler der vier Jahreszeiten (The Merchant of Four Seasons)
Effi Briest

ICM has me down for...
Veronika Voss
Fox and His Friends
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 03:35:27 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Hayao Miyazaki
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
Getting on a plane tomorrow for work, so I'm going to post a couple of these in advance.

#87 Hayao Miyazaki Ranked List

Filmspotting 2015 Top Rated Director of All Time, and I don't have a problem with that. I've seen all his features and if Boro the Caterpillar is ever finished I will watch that too. Miyazaki's work extends far beyond features, though many of his short films are difficult to track down. I have watched and written about Sherlock Hound.

As for what I haven't seen, IMDB lists a 49-minute feature called Conan the Future Boy: The Big Giant Robot's Resurrection. I'm assuming this comes from Future Boy Conan, which Miyazaki worked on (along with Isao Takahata.) I don't know how easy it will be to find this title, especially when episodes of the series make it confusing, but I will look for it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Danny Boyle
« Reply #286 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »
#88 Danny Boyle Ranked List

Two interesting notes about this thread:
1. The poll contains no options for Haven't Seen, Don't Like or Other and so far nobody has complained about that, which would speak very highly of Boyle's abilities.
2. My own ranked list has been inexplicably missing 28 Days Later... even though it's my 2nd favorite Boyle film.

So, yeah, I like Danny Boyle a lot, though I used to like him a lot more. (I owned the DVD for The Beach and Vacuuming Completely Nude in Paradise.) The editing in his films is typically masterful and there's no shortage of creativity, though his approach has gone more commercial over time. (Not the material, but his way of presenting it.)

I keep putting off T2 Trainspotting for no good reason and now I have no excuse. I also want to re-watch Slumdog Millionaire, which I liked far less than I expected to.

Also, there's a rumor right now that he might direct the next James Bond film. That would be awesome.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
I believe T2 would be worth your time.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2018, 01:46:21 AM »
I believe T2 would be worth your time.

Much better use of time then rewatching  Slumdog Millionaire (not that it is a bad movie)
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Dario Argento
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2018, 05:39:51 AM »
#75 Dario Argento Ranked List
I'm more likely to rewatch something I saw long ago, like Deep Red, Tenebre or Phenomena.

Tenebre and Phenomena are worth it, especially Phenomena which has the freshness of Suspiria.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love