love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85561 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »
I added both to my Shocktober Watchlist.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
I thought Phenomena was pretty dumb and boring, but still entirely worth it for the completely bonkers ending.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - John McTiernan
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
#89 John McTiernan Ranked List

The rise of John McTiernan was one of the great Double (Triple) Grand Slams of my lifetime. Going from Predator to Die Hard to Red October, McTiernan appeared to be a director with indisputably great instincts, and I would like to imagine a parallel universe where the streak continued. Instead he made Medicine Man, a film as tone deaf as McT's previous work was pitch perfect. It's been a rocky ride from there with everyone choosing a different title to declare Underrated. (For me it's Thomas Crown Affair.)

I've read the Wikipedia coverage of McTiernan's criminal problems multiple times, unsure if that's what killed his career or if it was the double shot of Rollerball and Basic. (A pair which seems to be anti-matter opposite of Die Hard and Red October.) They remain the only 2 McTiernan films I've never seen - I used to own Nomads on VHS. I'm still working in Syracuse, so I have a couple of days (and some Danny Boyle films) to decide if either of them are worth watching.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2018, 02:26:10 AM »
What does glowing teal mean in your colour scale?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »
Nothing. I just love that movie more than a reasonable amount. I’ve probably watched it more than any other film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Pedro Almodóvar
« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
#90 Pedro Almodóvar Ranked List

I got into Almodóvar with Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, which was followed by disappointments until I gave up in frustration. While I liked the under-appreciated Live Flesh, it was my dislike of All About My Mother that made me think the director is simply not for me (since everyone else loved that movie.) The Skin I live in and Volver have re-ignited my optimism to where I'm ready to give Almodóvar a fresh appraisal.

ICM suggests I look at his early works What Have I Done to Deserve This? and Law of Desire, but I'm more interested in his newer films, particularly The Flower of My Secret and Julieta. I would like to rewatch Live Flesh to see if it still holds for me and if I'm in the mood, I'd like to take a 2nd look at All About My Mother.

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Pedro Almodóvar
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »
#90 Pedro Almodóvar Ranked List

I got into Almodóvar with Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, which was followed by disappointments until I gave up in frustration. While I liked the under-appreciated Live Flesh, it was my dislike of All About My Mother that made me think the director is simply not for me (since everyone else loved that movie.) The Skin I live in and Volver have re-ignited my optimism to where I'm ready to give Almodóvar a fresh appraisal.

ICM suggests I look at his early works What Have I Done to Deserve This? and Law of Desire, but I'm more interested in his newer films, particularly The Flower of My Secret and Julieta. I would like to rewatch Live Flesh to see if it still holds for me and if I'm in the mood, I'd like to take a 2nd look at All About My Mother.

I'm a big fan of Almodóvar but I'd suggest skipping What Have I Done to Deserve This?. A second watch of All About My Mother propelled it into my Top 100 so I'd definitely recommend a rewatch. Julieta is pretty good, but I'd prioritise Broken Embraces from the newer stuff which I don't see in your list.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
I don't want to watch so much Almodóvar and I've been trying to pick one of the early films. Law of Desire will do fine. I'm also not that committed on Flower of My Secret so it's probably best to skip that unless I get a whim.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »
I don't want to watch so much Almodóvar and I've been trying to pick one of the early films. Law of Desire will do fine. I'm also not that committed on Flower of My Secret so it's probably best to skip that unless I get a whim.

Law of Desire is one of my favorites, and maybe the 2nd best film he did in the 80's (Women on the Verge being first).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
Awesome. That’s next up for me to watch when I get back home.

love