Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85453 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Wong Kar-Wai
« Reply #300 on: February 27, 2018, 10:00:43 PM »
Still watching Almodóvar, but looking ahead.

#91 Wong Kar-Wai Ranked List

Was really hot on him for a brief period, cooled off a bit now.
With only one underwhelming feature in the past ten years, WKW has dropped from being a Miyazaki level darling to needing to prove himself again. (Much like my favorite director, James Cameron.) I've seen all his features - most of which I own on DVD - and some of his short work, but the fire has gone out, his greatness now only a memory. I need something to reignite that.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Paul Thomas Anderson
« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
#92. PTA Ranked List

Phantom Thread was something of a comeback for me, one of the few who did not like The Master. (It seems like an obvious candidate for a re-watch, but I've already seen it twice and I'm not yet ready for a 3rd attempt.) I added a separate list for PTA's short films and music videos that I've seen. The only feature I haven't seen is the 54-minute documentary Junun, and I don't know if anyone here has seen that one. Don't see why I need to be the first.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Michael Mann
« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »
#93 Michael Mann Ranked List

I had actually forgotten about The Cabal. Read Mann's thread and it's Republicans and Democrats as people take sides on the Miami Vice Cabal (which has expanded to all of Mann's digital work.) Up to 1999, Mann was one of my favorite directors, a detail-oriented technician with strong story skills coated in Michael Bay levels of machismo. His recent works have been varying degrees of stupid and all could benefit from severe re-editing. (Ali's focus on the life between the highlights demonstrated why downtime makes for terrible drama.)

Two titles jump out for me to watch:
L.A. Takedown (1989) - Mann's first run at Heat
Blackhat (2015) - the only theatrical feature I haven't seen

I'm probably also going to throw a re-watch of The Keep (1983) in there because it's Horror and I remember it being really good for about an hour.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Pedro Almodóvar
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
ICM suggests I look at his early works What Have I Done to Deserve This? and Law of Desire, but I'm more interested in his newer films, particularly The Flower of My Secret and Julieta. I would like to rewatch Live Flesh to see if it still holds for me and if I'm in the mood, I'd like to take a 2nd look at All About My Mother.

I'm a big fan of Almodóvar but I'd suggest skipping What Have I Done to Deserve This?. A second watch of All About My Mother propelled it into my Top 100 so I'd definitely recommend a rewatch. Julieta is pretty good, but I'd prioritise Broken Embraces from the newer stuff which I don't see in your list.
I knew I didn't want to watch that much Almodóvar, and after watching Law of Desire and Live Flesh yesterday I've come to the conclusion that Almodóvar films need to be spaced out. I'm not looking to power through too much more and a re-watch of All About My Mother wouldn't be wise. I have Julieta, which I will save for tonight, probably after something by Michael Mann.

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Michael Mann
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
I'm probably also going to throw a re-watch of The Keep (1983) in there because it's Horror and I remember it being really good for about an hour.

The Keep is good for about an hour. It's a film that I wouldn't mind seeing remade. There's tons of potential in the story and setting.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Lars Von Trier
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
#94 Lars Von Trier Ranked List

While he was never a favorite director, there was a time when I would watch anything he made because after watching dozens of regular films, it's good to find someone who can still provoke me. Breaking the Waves is one of my top Mess-terpieces, a film I saw in the theater and bought the day it was released on home video. One of the most emotional experiences I've had with a film.

I've seen most Von Trier, and I like to recommend The Boss of it All because it's not like any of his other films. It's actually... enjoyable. The big omission for me is that after watching Nymphomaniac: Vol. 1, I chose to pass on Vol. 2, and I'm not changing my stance now. I'm keeping my eye on The House That Jack Built, a horror/thriller set to be released this year.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - The Coen Brothers
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
#95 Joel and Ethan Coen Ranked List

Another poll without options for Haven't Seen/Don't Like, which is fitting because if that's where your vote would go you're probably on the wrong forum. Definitely among the best, even if I've low-ranked some of their titles. Some films - A Serious Man - took a re-watch for me to like it, which is why I'm planning to re-watch Miller's Crossing (for the 3rd time) for this project.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Lars Von Trier
« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2018, 04:39:54 AM »
#94 Lars Von Trier Ranked List

While he was never a favorite director, there was a time when I would watch anything he made because after watching dozens of regular films, it's good to find someone who can still provoke me. Breaking the Waves is one of my top Mess-terpieces, a film I saw in the theater and bought the day it was released on home video. One of the most emotional experiences I've had with a film.

I've seen most Von Trier, and I like to recommend The Boss of it All because it's not like any of his other films. It's actually... enjoyable. The big omission for me is that after watching Nymphomaniac: Vol. 1, I chose to pass on Vol. 2, and I'm not changing my stance now. I'm keeping my eye on The House That Jack Built, a horror/thriller set to be released this year.

The Boss of it All is fun. It is so light it is almost not a Von Trier film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Quentin Tarantino
« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »
#96 Quentin Tarantino Ranked List

Often right alongside James Cameron as my favorite director working today, but I fear his time is fading fast. (The grindhouse approach to violence in Hateful Eight was all wrong for that story, and the film in general shows he no longer has the ability to edit out any of his precious moments.) I'll still see the next one in theaters and I dare him to make a film under 100 minutes. (His cut of Death Proof is 113m.)

I haven't seen My Best Friend's Birthday, but I've never heard or read a thing that makes me believe there would be some value to that. His features I've watched multiple times, except for Hateful 8. I'm good with moving on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Ron Howard
« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
#97 Ron Howard Ranked List

The first director poll that I started.

I like Ron Howard and didn't believe people who called him a hack because he made a number of un-hacky directing choices. He was a crowd pleaser, like Rob Reiner, and that wasn't a bad thing. Lately his films have been less pleasing. Rush, Cinderella Man and Beautiful Man are the only ones from this decade I like, and The Grinch is one of the worst films ever made. Don't ask Ron Howard to be Tim Burton.

I could be cute and put the Marathon on hold until Solo comes out. I have to get to work, but I'll pull up something interesting.

love