love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85608 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
I've been debating Something Has Happened because I know MartinTeller likes it a lot.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Kenneth Anger
« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2018, 11:41:17 PM »
#113  Kenneth Anger Ranked List

I see a clear direct line from Anger's short films to the buff 80s and 90s action films like Top Gun and The Rock. Scorpio Rising has to be my favorite piece of experimental cinema, blending pop songs and homoerotic biker gang imagery. That one 30-minute work of cinema makes him a King (on the throne next to Maya Deren for Meshes of the Afternoon.) His short films don't always work for me, but I usually find them interesting in some way. I wish Anger had made a feature.

While I haven't seen everything, I'm more than satisfied by what I have managed to watch. The rest is not as recommended and harder to find. I'm good with moving on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Bernardo Bertolucci
« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »
#114 Bernardo Bertolucci Ranked List

I see so much greatness in Bertolucci's work, but that one Great Bertolucci film has always eluded me. His films are always an uneven mixture to where the scenes that fall short bring the overall impact down. I've even rewatched The Conformist and 1900, thinking this time it's all gonna click, and those are the two films I know I will rewatch again, (but not now.) There's also too much sexual interest in his films, where they go beyond being an important part of the story into more of a personal intrusion.

Appearing on 6 ICM lists, I obviously need to watch Before the Revolution, though I know nothing about it.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
There is no such thing as too much sexual interest.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Mel Brooks
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
#115 Mel Brooks Ranked List

I like reading the thread for Brooks because it covers my own personal divisive relationship with him. Brooks manages to be both side-splittingly hilarious and deeply lame, inspired but obvious. I was around in the wake of Blazing Saddles followed by Young Frankenstein, easily his two best though not without their own large doses of jokes that simply don't work.

First of all, you fans of Robin Hood: Men in Tights are as wrong as fans of Miami Vice. It's the film that turned me off of Mel Brooks films for good. So I haven't seen Life Stinks or Dracula: Dead and Loving It, and I considered watching them because these aren't difficult films to sit through, but actually I'm good with moving on.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
Have you seen the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee episode where Jerry spends the evening with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks watching Jeopardy and movies "where they have to secure the perimeter"? (Not that it's directed by Brooks)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Frank Capra
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
#116 Frank Capra Ranked List

One of my favorite directors, as proven by the many reviews I've already posted in his thread. There's also the one deeply unpopular opinion of my not liking It's a Wonderful Life. (Not hating, just not liking.) In exchange, I have two obscure Capra title among my Essentials - Ladies of Leisure and American Madness - which brings Capra's total Essentials up to 7.

So, I'm good with watching more Capra, except most of what I have is from his really early days, titles like Long Pants (1927), The Matinee Idol (1928) and The Power of the Press (1928). There is also Broadway Bill (1934), which Capra later remade as Riding High. It stars Myrna Loy, so I'll definitely take a look at that one.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
Have you seen the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee episode where Jerry spends the evening with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks watching Jeopardy and movies "where they have to secure the perimeter"? (Not that it's directed by Brooks)
I listened to Reiner and Brooks on separate episodes of Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast, where each accuses the other of constantly falling asleep while they watch movies together.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Spike Jonze
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
#117 Spike Jonze Ranked List

My relationship with Jonze's work is a bit frustrating. He's immensely talented and probably the greatest director of Music Videos there will ever be. The talent carries over into his features, but they've never quite connected with me like they have with others. My seemingly lifelong stance as the minority opinion on Being John Malkovich followed by my belief that the joke of the ending to Adaptation shoots everything I like about the film up to that point right in the head. Where the Wild Things Are is one of the saddest kids films I've ever seen and I get that's the point, but it's also why I don't ever want to return to that place. That makes Her his best film by default, and even that doesn't come close to his best work.

My list includes all the videos I remember. I used to own the DVD of Spike Jonze videos. There's nothing here for me to catch up with or revisit.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Charlie Chaplin
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »
#118 Charlie Chaplin Ranked List

Brilliant comedic timing, but the more I watch the more it all blends into the same type of film with various high levels of sentiment. There are classic moments, but that's what I remember from his films, individual moments rather than the entire film. That's why (for example) Modern Times is low for me, a classic start leading into a more typical relationship story. It gets even worse when trying to remember the difference between short films.

There is one feature I haven't seen, A Countess From Hong Kong. It's not highly regarded and I don't look to Marlon Brando for laughs. So, I'll be moving on

love