love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85483 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jean Cocteau
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
#119 Jean Cocteau Ranked List

Martin said it:
I feel like he takes himself a little too seriously and thinks far too highly of himself.
But I liked Orpheus and I wish I hadn't waited so long to watch Testament of Orpheus, which I assume is a sequel of some kind. I'm also curious to know what 8 X 8: A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements is, though I may not be curious enough to actually watch or finish it.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Charlie Chaplin
« Reply #351 on: April 05, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
There is one feature I haven't seen, A Countess From Hong Kong. It's not highly regarded and I don't look to Marlon Brando for laughs. So, I'll be moving on

I know a couple of weirdos who consider this one of the best films of all time!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
#119 Jean Cocteau Ranked List

Martin said it:
I feel like he takes himself a little too seriously and thinks far too highly of himself.
But I liked Orpheus and I wish I hadn't waited so long to watch Testament of Orpheus, which I assume is a sequel of some kind. I'm also curious to know what 8 X 8: A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements is, though I may not be curious enough to actually watch or finish it.

If his movies are anything like his books, he definitely takes himself seriously.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Charlie Chaplin
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
There is one feature I haven't seen, A Countess From Hong Kong. It's not highly regarded and I don't look to Marlon Brando for laughs. So, I'll be moving on

I know a couple of weirdos who consider this one of the best films of all time!
I don't want to take the bait on this or do anything that may lead to me watching A Countess From Hong Kong, but I'd certainly like to read a positive opinion.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - George Cukor
« Reply #354 on: April 05, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
#120 George Cukor Ranked List

One of those names where he worked a little here and there on other people's films so you have to keep straight which titles belong completely to him. Clearly a favorite of some big name actresses, he works with the people I love but the acting far surpasses the material, and many times not even that. There are some Winners, but I don't go into a Cuckor film expecting a winner.

Cukor made a lot of films that fall right into my comfort zone, which means I'm ready to watch many titles. Possibilities...
Girls About Town (1931): Kay Francis, Joel McCrea and Eugene Pallette
Two-Faced Woman (1941)
The Marrying Kind (1952)
The Actress (1953): Spencer Tracy, and Jean Simmons
Wild Is the Wind (1957): Anthony Quinn

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #355 on: April 05, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »

If his movies are anything like his books, he definitely takes himself seriously.

8 X 8: A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements opens with a scroll as long as Alone in the Dark. It ends with, "This film has been produced by artists. We have made use of the traditional freedom of the artist to follow our inspiration."

At the start of Le Testament d'Orphee, the narrator says, "My film is nothing other than a striptease act, gradually peeling away my body to reveal my naked soul."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:50:24 PM by 1SO »

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #356 on: April 06, 2018, 03:55:57 AM »

8 X 8: A Chess Sonata in 8 Movements opens with a scroll as long as Alone in the Dark. It ends with, "This film has been produced by artists. We have made use of the traditional freedom of the artist to follow our inspiration."

At the start of Le Testament d'Orphee, the narrator says, "My film is nothing other than a striptease act, gradually peeling away my body to reveal my naked soul."
Cocteau is super pretentious in the best possible way. His confidence in fine art is both amazing and endearing. The world  needs people like him, but only one at a time, please.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #357 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:24 AM »
I have now been shaking my head for 20 minutes.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Michael Curtiz
« Reply #358 on: April 06, 2018, 07:51:16 PM »
#121 Michael Curtiz Ranked List

173 features on IMDB he Directed or co-Directed, many with Warner Bros, where he worked on over 50 films during the 1930s. That's why I've probably seen so many. With such a large number, it's little surprise that I like 20 of them, even if that's less than half of what I've seen.

I'm not going to do a list with Michael Curtiz. I'm going to start in 1930 and look at each film's plot and cast to decide if I'm interested. I'm also planning to rewatch some films, in particular Mildred Pierce and The Breaking Point.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #359 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:31 PM »
So, I lied. Here is my tentative list for Michael Curtiz.

The Cabin in the Cotton (1932)
Female (1933)
Little Big Shot (1935)
Stolen Holiday (1937)
Daughters Courageous (1939)
Four Wives (1939)
This is the Army (1943)
Mildred Pierce (1945)
The Lady Takes a Sailor (1949)
The Breaking Point (1950)
I’ll See You in My Dreams (1951)
The Story of Will Rogers (1952)