love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85612 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jules Dassin
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »
#135 Jules Dassin Ranked List

When I saw the name, I was thinking of Dassin as someone who makes Crime and Heist films whose work could be confused with Jean-Pierre Melville. Looking over his movies, I'm very much mistaken. I've collected my reviews over to Dassin's Thread because this is going to mostly be a Marathon of Rewatches.

Brute Force: Watched Dec. 2011. I keep going back and forth if this is properly rated or perhaps it deserves to be on my Essentials.
Thieves' Highway: Watched Nov. 2012. I wasn't such a big Richard Conte fan when I first saw it.
Night and the City: Watched June 2011. My opinion is so far apart from most I knew I'd have to give it another look one day.
Never on Sunday: Something new. Sounds unusual. Highly rated.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
I am cutting my losses and abandoning my exploration of Henri-Georges Clouzot.

So you've finally come out of the Clouzot. It's about time. #brave

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2018, 01:35:44 AM »
There should be no doubt now who came up with this thread title.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jonathan Demme
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2018, 11:52:06 PM »
#136 Jonathan Demme Ranked List

Something Wild may be one of the pivotal films of my lifetime. I saw it on HBO right when I was getting into films, right when I was finding my own style. The beginning has one of the most graphic sex scenes I had seen at the time and from there the film redefined for me what a film could do. It mashes a lot of genres and broke a lot of molds for me. I watched it several times, and not just for the first 30 minutes.

I've written in several places about The Silence of the Lambs, one of my Top 10 films of All Time and the greatest thriller ever made. (Sorry, Hitchcock.) In general I've had mixed success with Demme, which makes sense the more I learn about how he likes to film movies. Some things work and some things don't and some day I may try to find out what led him to cast Mark Wahlberg as Cary Grant in The Truth About Charlie, but I still can't bring myself to do it. What I will do is watch his early breakthrough Citizen's Band (1977) and rewatch Melvin and Howard (1980), which left me cold the first time.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »
There should be no doubt now who came up with this thread title.

Fond memories. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - John Ford
« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
#137 John Ford Ranked List

It was a long time before I learned to love John Ford's filmmaking, which I found square and kind of corny. I know sdedalus had something to do with me seeing the light. I always liked Liberty Valance, though not half as much as I love it now. Young Mr. Lincoln was when I found that the things I used to not like about Ford were what I now loved about him.

I've seen a lot, so this is going to be picking a few I've always been interested in.
Steamboat Round the Bend (1935): I didn't like Judge Priest but I find the celebrity of Will Rogers interesting
The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936)
Mogambo (1953)
Sergeant Rutledge (1960): The one I'm most interested in seeing
7 Women (1966): A rewatch sort of. When I first had the chance to see it I wasn't in the mood and I hardly remember it.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #386 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
I’ll join you on those first two, I think. They’re coming up soon in my Ford marathon, just after The Whole Town’s Talking.

pixote
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:50:08 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
I worry about my speed. However...
a) My life is about to get very busy and stay that way through most of June. So that'll slow me down.
b) I can always watch these at your pace and work on the next director in the meantime.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Edward Dmytryk
« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
#138 Edward Dmytryk Ranked List

Even though he only made 5 Film Noir, I think of Dmytryk as a Noir director because his films favored cutthroat, morally ambiguous characters and plots that are tough as a nut and just as hard to crack. The western Warlock is his masterpiece, with the help of Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark and Anthony Quinn. For that reason alone, I'm ready to do a little digging.

I've seen the popular choices. ICM and IMDB suggest The Young Lions (1958), which has  Montgomery Clift, but I'm not too interested in 167 minutes of Marlon Brando and Dean Martin. So, maybe. More likely and based on availability...
Confessions of Boston Blackie (1941): I like these pre-noir mysteries and Chester Morris is a good lead.
The Falcon Strikes Back (1943): Same and while nobody can replace George Sanders, I like the character
Tender Comrade (1943): Ginger Rogers and Robert Ryan. I hear they have great chemistry.
The Mountain (1956): Spencer Tracy
Where Love Has Gone (1964): Courtroom drama starring Bette Davis and Susan Hayward
Alvarez Kelly (1966): Western starring William Holden and Richard Widmark

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #389 on: June 05, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Hmm, why does my post in that thread say it was last edited by you?