love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85499 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #390 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:46 AM »
Back when roujin and me were given the keys to the directors, I asked you if I could fix posts where the photos were no longer showing. You would start with a photo and then the next post would have your list. You said it was fine, so I started replacing the posts where the photos didn't show with your list (cut/paste) and then deleting the 2nd post so it wasn't a duplicate post. I also changed the thread titles, removing "Director's Best:"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Bob Fosse
« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
#139 Bob Fosse Ranked List

There have been a number of great film choreographers (Michel Kidd, Hermes Pan, Jerome Robbins) but Busby Berkeley and Bob Fosse were gods among men. Had to say that even though we're talking about directing here. It's unfortunate that Fosse only made five features, all expertly edited.

Trying to come up with a unifying reason for being mixed on three of them, there's a reluctance to cut out something that may be fine by itself but as a piece of the entire picture really drag down the pacing. The most glaring example is "I'm a Brass Band" in Sweet Charity, a number from the stage that should've been cut for the screen. The one time this indulgence worked was "Take Off with Us" in All That Jazz.

Since there's nothing new to discover, I will move ahead.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Masaki Kobayashi
« Reply #392 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
#140 Masaki Kobayashi Ranked List

While Martin's poll sticks to the more well-known and available titles from when he made the poll back in 2010, I don't think Kobayashi's other films are likely to surpass these. (Of the 8 listed only 3 have votes, which is also fitting.) It's not that his other films aren't good. It's that his best work is unparalleled.

I've seen 12 of his 22 films. I don't know what I'm going to watch yet, but I don't want to do a comprehensive Marathon. The one I'm most interested in is The Inheritance (1962).

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2018, 04:33:16 PM »
I might be in for Lang, depending on what you watch. I'm definitely looking for an excuse to watch The Marriage Circle and Broken Lullaby for Lubitsch, among others.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:33:29 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Fritz Lang
« Reply #394 on: June 13, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
#141 Fritz Lang Ranked List

My original aim was to complete this project by the end of the Decade, but once I realized that would be impossible, it became easier to do longer studies of each director if I wanted to. I've already seen 30 of Fritz Lang's 46 features. The reviews are scattered all over this forum. Some I watched for Noir-vember, some were because after finally watching  Metropolis in 2011 I wanted to see more of his silent work.

Because my Lang is so spread out, there are a titles I want to rewatch along with the new discoveries. In particular I want to watch the Dr. Mabuse Trilogy, especially since this includes his final film, which I've never seen.
My list of possibilities:
Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922)
Woman in the Moon (1929) - ICM pick
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)
Ministry of Fear (1944) - A rewatch, but I love Ray Milland and can't remember this one
Tiger of Bengal (1959)
The Indian Tomb (1959)
The 1,000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse (1960)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Fritz Lang
« Reply #395 on: June 13, 2018, 05:29:47 PM »
Woman in the Moon (1929) - ICM pick
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)

I'd like to watch your whole list (except for Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, which was already part of one of my marathons). Kanopy has these two above, though, which makes it more likely I'll get to them — perhaps along with Four around a Woman, which is under an hour.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Ministry of Fear, but I don't remember it either.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #396 on: June 13, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
I'm definitely looking for an excuse to watch The Marriage Circle and Broken Lullaby for Lubitsch, along others.

pixote
Those two are definitely under consideration. Monte Carlo is the one I most want to see.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #397 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Monte Carlo is the one I most want to see.

The writing credits there seem to be the most fascinating aspect:

Ernest Vajda                      ...        (adaptation)
Hans Müller                       ...        (play "The Blue Coast")
Booth Tarkington                  ...        (novel "Monsieur Beaucaire")
Evelyn Greenleaf Sutherland       ...        (play "Monsieur Beaucaire")
Vincent Lawrence                  ...        (additional dialogue by)

I'm wondering if Vajda really incorporated elements from the novel and the two theatrical applications, or if an IMDb user just got overzealous.

pixote

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Fritz Lang
« Reply #398 on: June 13, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
I'd like to watch your whole list (except for Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, which was already part of one of my marathons). Kanopy has these two above, though, which makes it more likely I'll get to them — perhaps along with Four around a Woman, which is under an hour.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler is 4-hours, which gives you some time. Except my plans to see American Animals today fell thru so I have a hole in my schedule. How long is Kanopy's version of Woman in the Moon? there's a 95, 156, 169 and 200 minute cut. Mine is 169m.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »
It lists it at 171 minutes (Kino Lorber).

pixote