Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85505 times)

valmz

Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #430 on: July 10, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
I don't think Koreeda is similar at all to the Taiwanese directors. He doesn't do "slow cinema", really. He's much closer to Rohmer. People talk. A lot.

As for The Third Murder, I have heard that it's the Koreeda film for nobody. Even if it's the Koreeda film for people who don't like Koreeda, it's still probably not a great genre film for people that like genre films. Seems like going to In n Out and only ordering a plate of lettuce, just so that you can say you ate there. But - did you, really? Wouldn't you rather just have a good salad?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Mamet, David
« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
I wanted to space out the Koreeda films more and the next director is a great choice.

#152 David Mamet Ranked List

Like with Aaron Sorkin, I love that sweet, sweet dialogue. A writers poll would be more fitting, but there was a period where Mamet was developing solid directing skills. Then came State and Main, a major stumble, and he's been shaky for me ever since. I've rewatched his first 5 features numerous times. I don't even like Homicide overall but the first half is some of Mamet's best work.

I've seen all of Mamet's features except for Phil Spector (2013), and while I hear it doesn't work I'm curious to learn why. I also want to take another look at Redbelt (2008), which I found interesting but strangely plotted. I'm probably also going to watch that first half of Homicide again.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - David and Albert Maysles
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »
#153 David and Albert Maysles Ranked List

I thought the Maysles' were an inseparable team, but it's difficult to create an accurate thread for them because they frequently work apart or with others. The only films that bear both their names and nobody else are The Beales of Grey Gardens (2006) and Showman (1963). I was surprised to learn Grey Gardens is credited to 4 Directors.

The Maysles' is a name I grew up knowing about long before I watched anything. Same with D.A. Pennebaker. Documentaries aren't my thing and I'm not even sure what I want to watch here, but I'm leaning towards a rewatch of Grey Gardens (1975) and the 30 for 30 short Muhammad and Larry (2009)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:29:58 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Leo McCarey
« Reply #433 on: July 14, 2018, 12:57:37 AM »
#154 Leo McCarey Ranked List

I was starting to wonder when this was going to bring me one of my Classic Hollywood directors. While McCarey is not a favorite, he did put two in my Top 200. Unfortunately, he also wasn't very prolific, unless I want to marathon a bunch of Laurel and Hardy shorts. There are no glaring omissions, but I want to recharge my cinema batteries.

The Kid From Spain (1932) - I'd heard Eddie Cantor was a popular leading man but obnoxious by modern standards. (And it was Gilbert Gottfried who said it.) I've been wanting to see for myself, so this works.
Six of a Kind (1934) - Speaking of annoying, this has Gracie Allen AND W.C. Fields. It's only and hour and rated pretty highly.

Not watching unless someone can convince me (and I'd be surprised if anyone's even seen these.)
Belle of the Nineties (1934) - Mae West
My Son John (1952) - a Jonathan Rosenbaum selection that's 5.6 on IMDB
Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! (1958) - cute premise, but only 6.0 on IMDB and the cast (Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Joan Collins, Jack Carson) isn't enough for me.
Satan Never Sleeps (1962) - I like William Holden, but not enough for a low-rated 2+ hour war drama. Besides, drama isn't McCarey's speciality.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #434 on: July 14, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »
I'm always have to remind myself how few films McCarey made after 1940.

I had a wonderfully distracting week, which put me behind in my movie watching, but I might try to join you in The Kid from Spain, since it's on Filmstruck.

I'm surprised Indiscreet didn't make the shortlist — though reading up on it, it doesn't sound quite as promising as I thought initially (Gloria Swanson, Barbara Kent, Gregg Toland).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
I had a wonderfully distracting week, which put me behind in my movie watching, but I might try to join you in The Kid from Spain, since it's on Filmstruck.

pixote
I don't know if that's enough of a reason, especially when you so many films that are probably better uses of your time. I picked up the two films today and will probably watch both tonight.

Are you tracking your director ratings as you move through this project? I imagine most of the directors so far have been known quantities, but have any seen significant upticks in your rating of them?

pixote
Still trying to come up with something to do here. When I hit #150, I realized it was better to start this sooner rather than later.
150 Directors. For all I have:
1. A thorough, color-coded list
2. A Rating from the Director Ratings project.

The obvious thing would be to re-rate them and rank them accordingly, but how useful is that? I don't even know what I might do with such a list, let alone how others might use it as a reference guide.
Is it better to rate them by the number of successes? Is it fair to average their filmography out when some filmmakers will suffer from that simply because they made so many films?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Ermanno Olmi
« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
#155 Ermanno Olmi Ranked List

Until someone comes along with a passion for Olmi, he'll always be on the fringe of my Italian cinema education. His career covers a lot more ground than the titles in the poll, but most of them are extremely hard to find. I'm going to keep this simple.  IMDB and ICM say that Time Stood Still (1959) is what I should try next. It also comes with a lengthy review from MartinTeller, who gives it a Very Good rating.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Sydney Pollack
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
#156 Sydney Pollack Ranked List

I get the impression Pollack was an intelligent guy. He enjoyed popular genre material, but he always approached things in a classy way. Because of that, I've watched more of his films than I realized, and been mixed on many of them. What's a thriller without thrills? That would be a thriller directed by Sydney Pollack.

I'm just now reading about This Property Is Condemned (1966), which seems interesting and a remote possibility.
Castle Keep (1969) is an action comedy starring Burt Lancaster. Sold!
The Yakuza (1974) has been on my Watchlist. Plus, Robert Mitchum.
Stupid as it sounds, I've always been interested in Havana (1990). 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
I remember The Yakuza’s being worthwhile. Mitchum is really appealing in it, says my vague memory.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Yasujiro Ozu
« Reply #439 on: July 17, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
#148 Yasujiro Ozu
his uncinematic formal approach

:o