Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 12826 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Nicholas Ray
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:35 AM »
#157 Nicholas Ray Ranked List

This is why I can't rank Directors. My Top 5 Nicholas Ray films are really well directed. The direction is a big part of what makes them stand out from similar material. However, overall Ray is not a director I like because his stamp on genre material more often than not produces creaky, dull films. If there are problems with the script, he only magnifies them with his direction.

I have two Nicholas Ray films on my Watchlist...
Born to Be Bad (1950): Not a big fan of Joan Fontaine, but Robert Ryan and Film Noir
The Savage Innocents (1960): Anthony Quinn as an Eskimo. This film just looks completely nuts.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2018, 12:56:23 AM »
I had written a lengthy post about Nicholas Ray in his thread - a paragraph on the two movies and much more on additional reading I did, which better informed my opinion of the director - and it just disappeared. Obviously I pressed the wrong keys, but this is very disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:03:27 AM by 1SO »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
I had written a lengthy post about Nicholas Ray in his thread - a paragraph on the two movies and much more on additional reading I did, which better informed my opinion of the director - and it just disappeared. Obviously I pressed the wrong keys, but this is very disappointing.

I'm sorry.  My dog ate it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
Your dog knows quality.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Carol Reed
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
#158 Carol Reed Ranked List

I miss the days when I could not just be out of sync with the majority opinion but give reasonable reason why. I'm very proud of my post on The Third Man, though I don't expect it to persuade anyone. It's been the lynchpin on my opinion of Carol Reed. In his thread is a lot of praise for The Third Man, and the only film watched by nearly half the people posting lists. It's like he's one of those directors who got it perfect once and the rest is disposable.

I think of Carol Reed as a follower of Hitchcock with the British resolve of Anthony Asquith, and I say that knowing it's a short-sighted statement and there are probably better filmmakers to compare Reed to, like Ealing Studios directors. This is why I'm more interested in Reed's film than you might think. My Watchlist contains...
Girl in the News (1940)
The Stars Look Down (1940)
The Way Ahead (1944)
The Man Between (1953)
Trapeze (1956)
Our Man in Havana (1959)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »
Cheered up by one of my favorite gifs of all time.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Éric Rohmer
« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »
#159 Éric Rohmer Ranked List

I saw a Rohmer film once. It was kind of like watching paint dry.
- Harry Moseby in Night Moves (1975)

I don't feel the same way, but my experiences with Rohmer do seem to be more dependent on my attitude in the moment than most directors. I can pick up a genre film like a Jersey Mikes sandwich, but I have to WANT to see a Rohmer. Problem is, I'm rarely in that mood.

With that in mind, I need to be extremely selective about what I watch here. ICM has 18 films that appear on a list. Chloe in the Afternoon (1972) is on 4 Official Lists, so that seems a wise choice. The thread has a lot of recommendations, and I want to have something else on standby in case I want to watch more. Top picks based on my familiarity with the titles would be...
Pauline at the Beach (1983)
A Tale of Winter (1992)
Autumn Tale (1998)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #448 on: August 04, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
Announcing a Hiatus to the Marathon. I have a special work assignment that's going to put my brain to work and during my downtime, I'd rather get back to the 86 new titles I have to watch to complete They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? You can look for me back over on this thread

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
I'd rather get back to the 86 new titles I have to watch to complete They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?

Yes.  Of course you would.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky