Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85506 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Victor Erice
« Reply #550 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »
#201 Victor Erice

8 years ago I watched Spirit of the Beehive,as unique a cinema experience as Woman in the Dunes. With Erice getting compared to Malick, my positive opinion defied expectations, something that didn't happen when I watched The Quince Tree Sun years later.

Erice has a very small filmography, but El Sur (1983) is a big ICM blind spot.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Nicolas Roeg
« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
Walkabout (1971)
Don't Look Now (1973)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

KOL and Dave (and anyone else who is interested)...

How do you feel about marking this for the Summer. One a month in June, July and August?

Excellent, I have found 2 of the films (both on Amzaon, 1 on Prime, the other a rental), just working on the third.

Ok, which one are we going to do first? I am going to suggest The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I have posted my initial comments/review of TMWFtE over in Roeg's director's page, here

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Nobuhiko Ōbayashi
« Reply #552 on: June 27, 2019, 12:48:28 AM »
#202 Nobuhiko Ōbayashi

When I saw the name I got excited thinking I was in for some samurai action. Turns out I was confusing this director with Kihachi Okamoto (#318). Ōbayashi is the director of Hausu and if you've seen anything by Ōbayashi, it's probably Hausu. (It has 20,000 ratings more than his 2nd most popular movie on Letterboxd.)

I imagine I'm not the only one curious to see if Hausu is a singular achievement or if that's the style he normally uses, and for what to watch next I look to MartinTeller's reviews (and availability).

LIKELY:
Emotion (1966)
The Aimed School (aka. School in the Crosshairs) (1981) - Intriguing Premise

POSSIBLE:
The Little Girl Who Conquered Time (1983) - Like this story but hold the animated version fondly

MAYBE:
Sada (1998) - MT's review goes hard against the original, In the Realm of the Senses, which I liked a lot.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #553 on: June 27, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
Obayashi is a lot more than House. The current critical landscape has Bound for the Fields, the Mountains and the Seacoast as his most likely masterpiece, the most representative of his style and concerns.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #554 on: June 27, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
Obayashi is a lot more than House. The current critical landscape has Bound for the Fields, the Mountains and the Seacoast as his most likely masterpiece, the most representative of his style and concerns.

Oh sure, I do a deep dive on Obayashi and the "critical landscape" picks one of the ones I haven't seen. Fine, adding it to my watchlist....

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
Those 80's works are the ones on my radar the most at the very least. His Motorbike, Her Island, Exchange Students, The Discarnates, and going into the 90's Futari and The Rocking Horsemen.

The clips I've seen of his last film, Hanagatami, look incredible. There's lots of stuff to see.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Ritwik Ghatak and Rene Clair
« Reply #556 on: June 29, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
#203 Ritwik Ghatak. Having seen his two most acclaimed/popular films I could not be less enthused to watch more. I need to learn more about him before exploring his career any further.

#204 René Clair Ranked List

I think of Clair as a more frivolous Jean Renoir and I mean that as a compliment. Though his stories are often TV sitcom thin, there's a playfulness I occasionally enjoy. It brings an odd quality to And Then There Were None, his masterpiece. The Agatha Christie story itself is a masterpiece in its mechanics and not taking it too seriously turns out to be the right approach. (Plus, the casting is largely brilliant. Where else do I get Walter Huston AND Barry Fitzgerald?)

As for what to watch, all options are on the table, but my #1 pick would be Man About Town (1947), which is highly regarded and stars Maurice Chevalier.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Clément and Dovzhenko
« Reply #557 on: June 29, 2019, 02:42:26 PM »
phooey! It seems I've already seen more than my fair share of René Clair and finding another that interests me has proven difficult. On the other hand, I'm kind of liking this little bit of skipping ahead, and it looks like this is going to continue.

#205 René Clément Ranked List
I can't even fake interest. I was most disappointed by Purple Noon, which is like a Tom Ripley story told as if nothing actually happens. I was surprised to learn I've seen 4 of Clément's films. That's more than enough.

#206 Aleksandr Dovzhenko Ranked List
With early Russian Cinema there is Eisenstein and there is everyone else. I have found Frontier (1935) and Ivan (1932) on YouTube and I will watch those.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #558 on: June 29, 2019, 11:15:54 PM »
It's nice to see you being willing to skip when you feel like it, not letting yourself be a slave to the marathon. I'm wondering, are there any Hollywood directors you would skip? Seems like when it comes to American movies, your appetite is insatiable.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Miklós Jancsó
« Reply #559 on: June 30, 2019, 12:02:46 AM »

I dove blindly into Miklós Jancsó during my original Directors of Shame Marathon. While I wasn't bowled over by either film, the filmmaking intrigued me with its deep focus and complicated long takes. I'm happy to get another shot since it's been far too long. Maybe by now, availability won't be so difficult.

LIKELY:
Red Psalm (1972)

POSSIBLE:
My Way Home (1965)
Silence and Cry (1968)
Electra, My Love (1974)