Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85593 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
I've always wanted to see The Cyclist, just because of its mention in Close-Up.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Looks like some people got tired of waiting for an official release of his work. A number of titles are on YouTube. Now I just have to check for decent subtitles.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Yasuzo Masumura
« Reply #572 on: July 30, 2019, 01:26:39 AM »
#213 Yasuzo Masumura

Though he had a thread at the time, Masumura wasn't part of my original Directors of Shame Project. Kisses was dictated to me in 2012 and I watched Blind Beast a year later. Pretty much a blank slate, though I'm not looking to make an extensive Marathon out of him.

LIKELY:
Red Angel (1966)

POSSIBLE:
A Wife Confesses (1961)

MAYBE:
Giants and Toys (1958)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Mikio Naruse
« Reply #573 on: July 31, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »
#214 Mikio Naruse

8-years ago, when I watched When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, I was very dismissive of it and of Naruse. My review probably reads like I wasn't looking forward to it, and I haven't seen a Naruse since. So this is like a trap I knew I'd be walking into, but I'm more open-minded today.

That gives me a lot of options over what to watch, and his thread has a good amount of discussion, but I don't want to commit to an Ozu-sized Marathon. A trilogy of titles seems right here.

1. Anzukko
2. Meshi
3. Late Chrysanthemums
4. Ukigumo
5. When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
6. Sudden Rain

I'm using this as a guide, which matches up nicely with ICM, where Floating Clouds/Ukigumo (1955) is a must. My other two will be...
Repast/Meshi (1951)
Late Chrysanthemums/Bangiku (1954)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #574 on: August 01, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »
There's still so much Naruse I haven't seen. I always meant to get back to him but I never did... probably because while I almost always get something out of his work, he's not a director I'm wildly enthusiastic about. Interested to see how he goes over with you.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Max Ophüls and Nagisa Ōshima
« Reply #575 on: August 04, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »
#215 Max Ophüls Ranked List

I've picked away at Ophüls throughout this decade. My initial excitement slowly wore off over the years until even a rewatch of my favorite was less exciting than my first viewing. I may have only seen a third of his filmography, but by all measure it's his top third, so I'm good.

#216 Nagisa Ōshima Ranked List

Like Takeshi Kitano, I don't believe Ōshima is capable of a Masterpiece, but he's one of the most unique and interesting directors so that's okay. This look like it could be fun.

LIKELY:
Naked Youth (1960)
Boy (1969)

POSSIBLE:
Japanese Summer: Double Suicide (1967)
The Man Who Put His Will on Film (1970)
The Ceremony (1971)

MAYBE:
Night and Fog in Japan (1960)
Violence at Noon (1966)
Sing a Song of Sex (1967)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Georg Wilhelm Pabst
« Reply #576 on: August 05, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
#217 Georg Wilhelm Pabst Ranked List

When I discovered F.W. Murnau, I was quickly all into his work, with two Masterpieces and a few others that blew open what I thought early cinema was capable of doing with the camera. My reaction to G.W. Pabst wasn't the exact opposite, but Pandora's Box and Diary of a Lost Girl fell well below expectations. Since then I've been in a mode of "take it or leave it" with Pabst, with some good experiences but nothing unforgettable.

ICM Watchlist suggests Kameradschaft (1931) and I'm going to look for Westfront 1918 (1930).

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #577 on: August 06, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
Kameradschaft is quite good. I was going to watch Westfront 1918 for my year-by-year marathon, but it wasn’t yet available. I believe it came out on Blu-Ray in the past year, though.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
I found it on youtube. Had to download better subtitles for it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Alexander Mackendrick
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
#211 Alexander Mackendrick Ranked List
Curious why Martin started this thread when it seems pretty obvious that Sweet Smell of Success would be the runaway option. (I know people sometimes start threads to bring attention to a director and I wonder if that was the case here?) ]/quote]

If I watched the two back to back, I might very well choose the Ladykillers this time, a favorite of mine.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love