love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85480 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #740 on: September 13, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
That's exactly what I like about Cruising. Blue Chips I find rather bland until the last 15 minutes. Also, Nolte's opening speech is often overlooked among the great locker room rants.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Pietro Germi
« Reply #741 on: September 14, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »
#290 Pietro Germi

5 posts. 3 of which "Haven't Seen Any". Even the poll lists less than half his work, though overall Germi's films are highly-rated, and there's a period from 1959-1967 where it looked like he was going to break bigger.

Seduced and Abandoned (1964) has been on my main Watchlist for years. So, that's a must.
The Facts of Murder (1959) I discovered while reading about Germi and while there are others recommended above it, and I was going to just watch S&A, I'm now intrigued. Besides...  Claudia Cardinale!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Hideo Gosha
« Reply #742 on: September 14, 2020, 10:59:00 PM »
#291 Hideo Gosha

I just moved my review of Goyokin from 9 years ago. That's all I got. Could've sworn I saw Sword of the Beast and Three Outlaw Samurai, but I think it's because the titles are so familiar.

Those two are definite, but I could see myself staying here for awhile, depending on availability. I like samurai films and a lot of these are highly recommended.

LIKELY:
Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)
Sword of the Beast (1965)

POSSIBLE:
Samurai Wolf (1966)
Samurai Wolf II (1967)
Violent City (1974)

MAYBE:
Hitokiri  (aka Tenchu!) (1969)
Hunter in the Dark (1979)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:23:46 AM by 1SO »

Antares

• Godfather
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Hideo Gosha
« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)
Sword of the Beast (1965)

Could have sworn I wrote a review for Sword of the Beast, but I can't seem to find it. Here's a link to my review of Three Outlaw Samurai. According to Criticker, I liked the former slightly better.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Ron Shelton
« Reply #744 on: September 17, 2020, 02:35:46 AM »
#292 Ron Shelton Ranked List

Full disclosure, I met my wife on reshoots for Hollywood Homicide. Really that's more of a humble brag because as you can see by my rankings, the film is unwatchable and only good for marking the year I met the love of my life.

When Shelton burst on the scene, I thought he would be a sports-based version of Aaron Sorkin, with the toughness of David Mamet, or at least John Milius. Instead, he imploded spectacularly with Cobb and after a  slight comeback with Tin Cup became increasingly uninteresting. He is responsible for one of my favorite lines of dialogue. From Bull Durham: "From what I hear, you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a CINECAST!ing boat."

There's nothing new calling to me, but I'm going to watch Cobb again. When I first saw it, it was like Mama Mia where the film is so bad it manages to turn its lunacy into genuine entertainment.

Antares

• Godfather
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Ron Shelton
« Reply #745 on: September 17, 2020, 06:02:31 AM »
There's nothing new calling to me, but I'm going to watch Cobb again. When I first saw it, it was like Mama Mia where the film is so bad it manages to turn its lunacy into genuine entertainment.

I think most of the problem with Cobb is the mis-casting of Tommy Lee Jones. I read the book, it was pretty good. But you can never get past the fact that it's TLJ being TLJ. Also, someone besides Robert Wuhl probably would have improved it also. I can't get past Wuhl the comedian, so having him play that character wasn't right.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Doug Liman
« Reply #746 on: September 23, 2020, 01:33:34 AM »
#293 Doug Liman Ranked List

I saw Swingers within a year of moving to Los Angeles. I got the impression this world might be my future and I got a taste of it, but went a slightly different, less bro-social way instead. I was underwhelmed by Go (not much better than the average Tarantino ripoff) and The Bourne Identity (watched it 3 times, poorly plotted and I never thought much of the car chase). Then I started working in film production and heard the many stories of the constant reworking of Mr. &  Mrs. Smith. It's the film where I learned to shut away what I knew behind the scenes and just experience the film.

I didn't think there'd be anything to watch here, and then I open up his filmography and there's American Made (2017) staring at me, which is one I debated catching for the 2010s. It's one of 3 Tom Cruise films I haven't seen, and likely better than Lions for Lambs and Rock of Ages.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #747 on: September 23, 2020, 06:37:31 AM »
American Made is pretty good, Tom Cruise is perfect for the role, it works to his strengths

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #748 on: September 24, 2020, 01:28:27 AM »
American Made is pretty good, Tom Cruise is perfect for the role, it works to his strengths
Does it? His greatest strength is intensity, but this character rolls with the situation, often bewildered by out-of-control his life is. Cruise is an excellent actor and I like seeing him try something new, but instead of losing himself he gives a charmless character his megawatt charm.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Arthur Hiller
« Reply #749 on: September 24, 2020, 01:35:01 AM »
#294 Arthur Hiller Ranked List

I'm surprised to see The In-Laws with only one vote because I was raised to believe it's one of the greatest comedies of All Time. It's probably where I picked up my habit of re-watching films I didn't enjoy the first time. 3-4 viewings and I still don't think it's funny. Meanwhile, I just watched  The Out of Towners again and it's terrific.

I need to be cautious here because there are a couple of titles I'm interested in, but  Hiller is not a name you can trust. I'll consider watching either The Wheeler Dealers (1963) or The Man in the Glass Booth (1975).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:43:52 AM by 1SO »