love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85461 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Rudolph Maté
« Reply #770 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:53 AM »
#306 Rudolph Maté Ranked List

I was considering alternating Chris Marker with the next name on the list and that would be Rudolph Mate, who is a comfort food director that holds a couple of titles on my Watchlist and a couple of Noir as well.

LIKELY:
When Worlds Collide (1951)
The Green Glove (1952)
Second Chance (1953)
The 300 Spartans (1962)

POSSIBLE:
Miracle in the Rain (1956) w. Jane Wyman and Van Johnson

MAYBE:
Branded (1950) w. Alan Ladd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Peter Bogdanovich
« Reply #771 on: November 24, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »
#307 Peter Bogdanovich Ranked List

I don’t think like I’m alone in saying I wish Peter Bogdanovich made half the movies and spent more time working on books and other media analyzing the business and its key players. He started strong, except for one of my big Unpopular Opinions. I never got The Last Picture Show. I’ve seen it at least 4 times, and I just don’t get the acclaim. There are also a number of his films I know I’ve seen parts of but couldn’t finish.

LIKELY:
The Cat's Meow (2001)

POSSIBLE:
Saint Jack (1979)

MAYBE:
Nickelodeon (1976)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Peter Bogdanovich
« Reply #772 on: November 25, 2020, 03:47:43 AM »
The Cat's Meow (2001)
Nickelodeon (1976)

The former is a good movie, the latter was not.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Peter Bogdanovich
« Reply #773 on: November 28, 2020, 02:01:35 AM »
#308 Norman Z. McLeod Ranked List

Despite my list being 75% Lime, I wouldn't call McLeod a good director. He was lucky enough to work with great talent and mostly stayed out of their way. His moments are visual humor are usually his weakest. He worked with the broadest comedians: Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Danny Kaye, Betty Hutton, Jack Oakie, George Burns, Gracie Allen, W.C. Fields and The Marx Brothers.

His filmography includes a fleet of titles I'd be happy to watch or re-watch. My opinions on these films could be embarrassingly generous.

I'm also planning to go slowly here because of DOCember, the end of the year and waiting to watch most of these with Mrs. 1SO.

LIKELY:
Alice in Wonderland (1933)
Merrily We Live (1938)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)

POSSIBLE:
Monkey Business (1931) - rewatch
Horse Feathers (1932) - rewatch
Casanova's Big Night (1954) - rewatch
Alias Jesse James (1959) - rewatch

MAYBE:
The Miracle Man (1932)
A Lady's Profession (1933)
Here Comes Cookie (1935)
Pennies from Heaven (1936) - rewatch
Topper (1937) - rewatch
Swing Shift Maisie (1943)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Norman Z. McLeod
« Reply #774 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55:59 PM »
Just a quick post to say Norman Z. McLeod is a far more interesting Marathon subject than I expected. Think of him like Paul Feig where he’ll probably never be listed among the greats, but if he was to go on a five years streak of successful and satisfying films you wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve watched eight of the titles on my list and have now expanded to include some rarities I’ve found from his peak creative period. I'll have to figure out if I want to post that many individual reviews or do more of a general discussion of his place among Directors.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Jirí Menzel
« Reply #775 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
#309 Jirí Menzel Ranked List

Time for some learning. Who is this director and why did only one of his films break through (and win an Oscar)?

DEFINITE:
Larks on a String (1990)

LIKELY:
Closely Watched Trains (1966) - REWATCH
Capricious Summer (1968)
Shortcuts (1981)
My Sweet Little Village (1985)

POSSIBLE:
Secluded, Near Woods (1976)
I Served the King of England (2006)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:51:45 AM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Nikita Mikhalkov and Taylor Hackford
« Reply #776 on: January 21, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »
#310 Nikita Mikhalkov Ranked List

This Russian filmmaker made one of my main gateways to contemporary foreign cinema. Dark Eyes had no reputation to me, but the plot is so ingeniously constructed around a specific International time and place, it remains on my mind to this day.

There's a mystery to Mikhalkov's career. On IMDB, his features easily score above 7.0 until 2010. His last three films are 4.2, 4.1 and 5.7. They're also unusually long and the posters look like Mikhalkov has sold his soul, especially Burnt by the Sun 2. However, I'm not THAT interested in finding out why. I also just watched An Unfinished Piece for Mechanical Piano by coincidence for my ICM Hitlist, so to get back on track, I'll move ahead.

#311 Taylor Hackford Ranked List

I was probably too young to appreciate Taylor Hackford's output when I got into films in the 80s. (Having 'Hack' in his name became a lazy way to label his lack of an identifiable style.) I went back to re-evaluate and somewhat appreciate An Officer and a Gentleman, but a 2nd watch of Against All Odds didn't yield the same results. I turned around on Hackford with Dolores Claiborne (under-appreciated and as good as Misery), which was followed by Devil's Advocate, which I will argue is a Great movie with two crippling decisions, the very end and Keanu's accent.

I have two titles here I've always been curious about: The Idolmaker (1980) and Bound by Honor (1993)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Larry Clark
« Reply #777 on: January 23, 2021, 11:03:09 PM »
#312 Larry Clark Ranked List

Back in 2001, I worked on Clark's Teenage Caveman. He was surprisingly stable and had a strong idea about what he wanted and didn't want. I had seen Kids and Another Day in Paradise and Bully was making the rounds at the time. Between that and my on set experience I saw that Clark wasn't using excessive nudity to be pervy, but to show how his characters lived without a basic moral code. On set, his atmosphere was rather high-spirited. Everyone read the script, knew the filmmaker, thought it was best to dive in without too much thought, and he never spent too long filming nude scenes.

I'm not surprised that his career hasn't shown longevity. He's not interested in a wide variety of subjects - mostly teenagers and skateboarding - and his return on investment is always going to be low.

I'll be watching Ken Park (2002)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Kevin Macdonald
« Reply #778 on: January 24, 2021, 12:32:36 AM »
#313 Kevin Macdonald Ranked List

Often confused in my brain with Canadian director Bruce McDonald (Pontypool), Scottish director Kevin Macdonald has a Werner Herzog split between fiction and documentaries, two skills that came together nicely for the nail-biting Adventure/Doc Touching the Void.

Nothing here jumping out as a "must watch", but I am curious about How I Live Now (2013), a Sci-Fi, Thriller starring Saoirse Ronan, Tom Holland and George MacKay

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Larry Clark
« Reply #779 on: January 24, 2021, 07:46:24 AM »
I'll be watching Ken Park (2002)

do you know which cut you will watch? 

Big fan of Kids and Bully and liked Another Day in Paradise.  Wassup Rockers was mostly forgetful for me. I think Ken Park may be more difficult but only remember  the uncut version was extremely difficult to find back in the 2000’s and 2010’a as the movie had been banned in so many places. There seemed to be an uncut Russian version bootleg but most versions I could find were all censored.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love