Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85454 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Alex Gibney
« Reply #860 on: April 05, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
The Armstrong Lie (2013)

You'll like this one, he completely shreds Armstrong and shows him for what he truly is, a cheating, narcissistic piece of shit.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #861 on: April 05, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
Could make a nice balance with the other one, which I just looked up and saw contributed to Bondo's falling out with Gibney.

Totally Under Control

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Norman Jewison
« Reply #862 on: April 10, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »
#352 Norman Jewison Ranked List

With 2 Essentials, multiple Oscar nominations and a career spanning several genres, Jewison strikes me as a person you can hire for anything who may occasionally deliver far better than you were hoping for.

DEFINITE:
The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966) is a major blindspot

MAYBE:
The Statement (2003) is a thriller starring Michael Caine and Tilda Swinton. I just learned this exists.
The Art of Love (1965) is a rom-com starring James Garner, Dick Van Dyke, Elke Sommer and Angie Dickinson. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #863 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »
The one time I saw The Russians are Coming it was a bit of fun silliness.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Phillip Noyce
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2021, 11:43:14 PM »
#353 Phillip Noyce Ranked List

Dead Calm is one of my foundational guilty pleasures. Logically flawed front-to-back, but well-acted and thrilling as hell. I used to study it for how well it built suspense and the sound design is underrated. It also created Nicole Kidman the Movie Star. He went downhill immediately and has mostly been a hack-for-hire ever since, which is why I'm more interested in his early work, if I can find them.

PROBABLY:
Backroads (1977)
Newsfront (1978)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:49:57 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Hopkins/Berg/Foley/Tom DiCillo
« Reply #865 on: April 19, 2021, 11:06:42 PM »
#354 Stephen Hopkins Ranked List
Ugh, this guy. Hopkins came along when I was working in a movie theater, which is why I've seen so many of his turkeys. Most of his films are laughably bad, yet is work on the TV Series 24 was often excellent. It led to his one good movie, The Life & Death of Peter Sellers, but I'm not spending any more time here, especially when I think I might've also seen Under Suspicion and The Reaping.

RANKING:
#346 out of 354
★ ½

#355 Peter Berg Ranked List
Berg's conservative politics don't bother me nearly as much as his unpredictability. I’ve seen all but one feature because I like when he’s good, but when he’s bad he’s as bad as commercial filmmaking gets.
The one film I haven’t seen is 2018’s Mile 22, and I’m not watching that.

RANKING:
#234 out of 355
★ ★ ½

#356 James Foley Ranked List
Every good James Foley film surprised me because I think of him as a bad director. Fear (1996) is at the top and it totally holds up.. I get the love for Glengarry Glen Ross and the 2nd half equals the hype, but the first half is incredibly static, emphazing a sad sack sadness that’s a crutch for Lemmon and Pacino.
He directed the Fifty Shades sequels!?! No way I’m watching those.

RANKING:
#296 out of 356
★ ★

#357 Tom DiCillo Ranked List
Part of the 90s New York scene. A proto-hipster, Living in Oblivion was essential for anyone aspiring to make that first little movie.
At some point I have to stop and watch something, and this looks like the place, with a 2006 comedy Delirious starring Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Alison Lohman and Gina Gershon

RANKING:
#200 out of 357
★ ★ ★ – Okay 

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Hughes Brothers/Singleton/Borzage
« Reply #866 on: April 21, 2021, 01:46:08 AM »
#358 Alan & Albert Hughes Ranked List
I was there opening weekend to witness the talent on display in Menace II Society. The film is ragged, but The Hughes Brothers showed more cinematic flair than Boyz N the Hood, which was more about John Singleton's writing and the performances. I predicted these two would quickly pass Singleton as more impressive filmmakers. Dead Presidents almost fulfilled that potential, though it was a touch too ambitious. Still, Menace has one of my All Time favorite shots - directly overhead, shaking to a bass beat - and Presidents has an edit to rival 2001, the one that takes the story to Vietnam.

It was a bummer to find this thread and look up what the Hughes' have been up to. They still work here and there, but this is not the career I imagined. American Pimp jumps out as one to watch, but I'm deeply uninterested in the subject. Everything else is work they've done apart, and none of it seems to be a buried treasure.

RANKING:
#218 out of 358
★ ★ ½

#359 John Singleton Ranked List
Never was a fan. While Spike Lee was blazing trails and staying original, Singleton always struck me as playing the safe middle. I kept giving him chances, and have seen every movie but his last one, 2011's Abduction, starring Taylor Lautner.

RANKING:
#305 out of 359
★ ★

#360 Frank Borzage Ranked List
Came to know Borzage through Junior and I've already done an extensive Marathon, but with this many credits, there are always more titles to discover. Plus, I have down to show Three Comrades to Mrs. 1SO.

LIKELY:
Humoresque (1920)
Bad Girl (1931)
Mannequin (1937)
Strange Cargo (1940)

RANKING:
#80 out of 360
★ ★ ★ - Good
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:16:06 PM by 1SO »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:07 AM »
I have seen 2011's Abduction, it is not that good, but not as bad as it was made out to be.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Joe Wright/Cecil B. DeMille
« Reply #868 on: April 24, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
#361 Joe Wright Ranked List

Too much style and not enough substance. I like some of the work, but overall there's too much  surface.

The Woman in the Window comes to Netflix in less than a month, and I'll probably watch because like many Wright films the cast is strong.

RANKING:
#284 out of 361
★ ★

#362 Cecil B. DeMille Ranked List

Like D.W. Griffith without the racism (I think) the name DeMille tells me to settle in for something bloated and probably preachy. Because of that, I  am definitely rewatching Unconquered (1947), which I remember as a fun one. The rest for me are vegetables.

LIKELY:
Samson and Delilah (1949)

MAYBE:
Joan the Woman (1916)
The King of Kings (1927)
The Sign of the Cross (1932)

RANKING:
#232 out of 362
★ ★ ½

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Wes Anderson/Michael Bay
« Reply #869 on: April 25, 2021, 03:51:18 PM »
#363 Wes Anderson Ranked List
★ ★ ★ ½: #32 out of 363

I'm below the general average opinion of Wes. Got worried around the middle, but now every new film is a potential Masterpiece. I've seen all the features at least twice and am just waiting for The French Dispatch.

#364 Michael Bay Ranked List
★ ★ ★ - Okay: #202 out of 364

Back-to-back, two of the most visually distinct modern directors. I hate so much about Michael Bay, but there's a lot of talent buried in his heart of darkness. So glad the Transformers movies are behind him, though I believe it led to his most personal project and artistic peak, Pain & Gain.

When I started this Marathon, I had a few names where I was already thinking, "what will I do when I get to..."? With Michael Bay, I decided to be a completionist and watch 13 Hours.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:28:29 AM by 1SO »