love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. All the Directors  (Read 85485 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Bruno Dumont
« Reply #1070 on: May 18, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »
Bruno Dumont Ranked List

I've only seen two and don't know if they're typical of his filmmaking or if they're the outliers. Both are challenging to the viewer, both in terms of style and substance. I'm kind of hoping my selections are more of the same. Even though I'm mixed in terms of a recommendation, their originality is refreshing.

DEFINITE:
The Life of Jesus (1997)
Hors Satan (2011)

LIKELY:
Hadewijch (2009)
Slack Bay (2016)

MAYBE:
Joan of Arc (2019)
France (2021)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:03:43 PM by 1SO »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors
« Reply #1071 on: May 19, 2022, 12:26:09 AM »
I had lots of fun with Jeanette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc, even if I wouldn't necessarily call it a great movie. It's just bizarre and bizarrely engaging. Plus, another musical for you to check off the list. Definitely a director I need to check out more, not based on that film, but just on general reputation.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1072 on: May 19, 2022, 10:28:22 AM »
I watched 3 off my list. Hors Satan may be my favorite from him. Very much in line w Palms. Tedious mixed with fantasy realism and taboo imagery and ideas.

I’m skipping Joan of Arc. Up in the air about France.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1073 on: May 19, 2022, 11:57:18 PM »
Fantasy realism, taboo imagery, and tedium in Jeanette as well! Though sometimes I think what you may consider tedious, I may consider mesmerizing. In some circumstances. But in Jeanette, it's tedium, but I still couldn't look away or write it off, and I think it's more than just the novelty of it (though that's in play). More like the audacity, the boldness it took to pull off.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Majid Majidi
« Reply #1074 on: May 22, 2022, 07:59:20 PM »
Bruno Dumont Ranked List
★ ★: #377 out of 471

Majid Majidi Ranked List

Hitting Pause once again.

I can't get in the mood to write about my Bruno Dumont mini-marathon.
Looking over Majidi's filmography, I see myself stalling until I reluctantly watch something I'm not interested in.
I looked at the directors after Majidi, and none of them looked able to lift me from this film funk.
I'm not even interested in my usual comfort food (Horror). I'm looking more towards classic Hollywood.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Majid Majidi
« Reply #1075 on: May 22, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
I looked at the directors after Majidi, and none of them looked able to lift me from this film funk.

But... Saura!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1076 on: May 23, 2022, 04:40:50 AM »
A marathon I’ve been anticipating for many years, but not right now.

I hope all I need is to get back home for awhile. I’m in Des Moines at the start of June, then it’s a month in my own bed before Nashville.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. All the Directors - Carlos Saura
« Reply #1077 on: May 24, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
Carlos Saura Ranked List

Still not ready, but I like to have a plan. Here's what I know about Carlos Saura.

1. I think of him as primarily a director of dance films, though I see now that covers less than half of his output. Like Scorsese gangster films, it's a considerable amount but far from his only passion.

2. I'm just now seeing he worked a lot with actress Geraldine Chaplin. 13 titles according to IMDB and Wikipedia lists her as a "partner", though Saura also had 3 marriages.

3. MartinTeller is the biggest Saura fan I know. I never heard of Saura until Martin joined the forum, which means this could easily be a marathon of disappointment, though with the two dance films I've watched I at least like them and see what makes them unique.

4. Martin hasn't seen my starting point The Hunt (1966), which I find curious because with every list I've checked, it's a Top 5 pick.

The Hunt (1966)
Peppermint Frappé (1967)
La prima Angelica (1974)
Deprisa, deprisa (1981)
El amor brujo (1986)
Flamenco (1995)
Flamenco, Flamenco (2010)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1078 on: May 24, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »
Hmm maybe I’ll check out The Hunt too

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1SO vs. All the Directors - Majid Majidi
« Reply #1079 on: December 29, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »
... and none of them looked able to lift me from this film funk.

I'll probably make a New Year's resolution to find my way out of my own film funk (and hopefully return to posting something substantial on this forum at least once a week).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad