Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017  (Read 42379 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Oh, that's gonna be fun. I've got the Universal Monsters set as part of my other project, so that'll be happening. I hope to get to a few more Hammer stuff, too, plus whatever else I come across.
Which Universal Monsters set do you have? There's an Essential Collection, a Classic Collection and a Complete 30 film Collection.

Also I hope you remember to look for this.

It seems most of the month for me will be the ones with my wife and riding along on other people's projects. If I only get to one other on my Watchlist, it must be A Cure For Wellness. Next would be Nina Forever, which has a crazy premise.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
I have the classic collection. And your list will definitely inform my watching also. That one particularly.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 05:44:37 AM »
Has anyone watched Raw? I wanted to catch up with that.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »

Yes, I think I said something about you crazy French... and you should watch it
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
I wasn't sure this had opened yet in the states, but it has and it's available for rent so put this at the top of my Watchlist as well.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
I've watched Raw

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 04:38:25 AM »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
Personal Shopper
I don't know whether to call this a horror film or not.  I frankly don't know what I saw.  Psychological thriller, horror, quiet independent film, acting showcase?  I guess it's got some of all of them. 

What I did see is a great performance by Kristen Stewart, who is becoming a favorite actor of mine.  Stewart is Maureen, a woman with a great job, who goes around the world choosing and picking up clothes for a rich, famous fashion diva.  She hates this job. She is also a psychic who is hardheartedly trying to get some sign from her dead twin brother.  Somewhere in all this are ghosts, a murder, a number of creepy scenes, a variety of French accents (you'd think that someone who lived in France would speak French, right?) and generally a bunch of stuff to keep us interested even if they don't necessarily work together.  Or they do. 

I had a good time. I can't promise that you will. 4/5
- Slightly Scary

[REC]
Here begins my Shocktober marathon of watching non-English speaking horror films.  I chose this set of films because I find that I love films that not only shock me, but make me see things I haven't seen.  A horror film in a different cultural setting can be especially unique and give me some good surprises.

But REC begins as hum drum and everyday as any film I can imagine.  A reporter and cameraman are interviewing firefighters to "see what they do all night".  That is probably the lamest idea I've ever heard.  You watch them sleep?  Thrilled to get some attention from a hot reporter?  Even the film set up is kind of lame.  So it's found footage.  And the alarm will ring and we will go to a place to get the horror film started.  Yawn.

And that initial setup is perfect for this film.  It puts us at ease, thinking that we won't have much imagination or interest in this film.  Frankly, I thought it was quite well done.  There are so many things to be upset at: government oppression, biohazzard, prejudice, that when the actual horror sets in, it's really a shock.  Even the jump scares are natural and set up well. 

Frankly, this is a perfect gem of a low-cost horror film.  Scary, capturing the interest, and one of best-planned build ups to a satisfying climax.  There's nothing new to see here, but it is so well executed that I'm glad to have seen it.

4/5
- Really Scary
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 11:51:18 PM »
I never thought Personal Shopper qualified as possible Horror, but I know little about it except for the cast and director.

[REC] is a favorite of mine and one of the best examples of effective Handicam Horror, with two tremendous scares that can only be created by such a technique. (The body that drops in from above and the reveal of what's in the attic.) Co-director Jaume Balagueró is also responsible for the creepy Sleep Tight, which you watched two years ago.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 12:48:12 AM »
Yeah, I remember Sleep Tight.  It was good, but not as good as REC.  Both begin quiet and then slowly ups the stakes, but REC works better.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky