love

Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017  (Read 42367 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »
Interesting that you started with Kuroneko, which most people get to after Onibaba. It's not a sequel, but a variation on a theme. Different enough that each stands on its own, but you will notice similarities.

I already watched Onibaba earlier in the year. Before watching Kuroneko, I checked to make sure that I hadn't seen it already, the two films are so similar in general plot.  But they are remarkably different in art direction.  I enjoyed Onibaba, but less so than Kuroneko.  Onibaba felt rougher, more primal, but less interesting.  I love the heightened style of Kuroneko more than the plainness of Onibaba, although the latter might be a tiny bit more scary.   

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
The Transfiguration (2016)

Milo is a vampire-obsessed teenager. We know this because he name checks (and we see some clips from) so many classic entries in the genre. There is the slight problem with this meta tactic in that it sets up standards for comparison. There are some good moments, especially between Milo and a neighbor Sophie who seem to bond in their loneliness. But in a broader sense the film lacks energy and thematic clarity. Though the music occasionally has the appearance of being eerie, there isn't a lot to really mark it as horror but for the vampiric lore and a couple bloody moments.

- Safe for Sandy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
That's right, I need to finish that movie.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
Nerve (2016)

With a few name actors, and from the directors of Catfish and Paranormal Activity 3, this one kind of went under the radar. It's a pity it wasn't released as a Black Mirror episode, because it definitely has that feel. The premise is there is a mobile game called Nerve where players are given increasingly outlandish dares, which they must film with their phones, and are rewarded with money for completion, meanwhile others act simply as watchers.

In the form of the players, it satirizes web celebrity. The money, the risk of a criminal record, even the risk of bodily harm, all is secondary to the fame. It might as well be one long music video for Arcade Fire's excellent Creature Comfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwicesJQ7E

In the form of the watchers, it satirizes the anonymous web mob that gets wound up and loses sight of the humans behind the web presence.

I'm not saying it is profound, but it has an idea and with capable directors and the likes of Emma Roberts and Dave Franco, is carried off. An above average episode of Black Mirror is quite a good enough place to be. And the dares have a sufficiently visceral nature at times that I think I can pass it off as horror.

- Slightly Scary

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »
Always bounce between adding that to my list and removing it. Directors of PA3 and Roberts/Franco team don't do anything for me but "above average episode of Black Mirror" is something I'd like to see. It's back on my Watchlist.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 02:37:58 AM »
I wouldn't count Nerve as horror. It has one very nerve-wracking scene but that's about it. It is also less smart than an episode of Black Mirror, even if I haven't seen them all. Some things happen in the movie in relation to the app that are completely unjustified and no effort is made to explore its effects beyond the immediately obvious. It's an average-okay movie.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Directors of PA3 ... don't do anything for me.

That was more Junior baiting.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
I caught it. It's going on my short list.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 12:45:24 AM »
Directors of PA3 ... don't do anything for me.

That was more Junior baiting.
He can't agree with me and be right on everything.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:47 AM »
It Comes At Night

Krisha was a movie about family dysfunction with horror elements. It Comes at Night is a horror movie, which is about how fear creates dysfunction.

A family of three lives behind a locked door, terrified of the disease that has ravaged the world.  In the middle of the night, a visitor comes, looking for water, and the father dispatches him easily.  But the outline of the film is around the teenage son's nightmares, which cannot be separated from the nightmare he lives every day.

It is a good movie, full of sympathetic characters at each other's throats, but is it a horror film?  I'd say marginally at best.

3.5/5

- Slightly Scary
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:03:49 PM by oldkid »

love