love

Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017  (Read 42374 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2017
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
IGN is doing a 100 best horror movies of all time thing, and while I am not a fan of the website, lists are always fun.

For those unaware, They Shoot Zombies is the definitive list of 1000 Greatest Horror Films. I look forward to the next update, which will surely include Get Out and It. Possibly Raw and Train to Busan, and I predict a large jump up for The Witch.

Looking at their list of The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Horror Films these 2016 titles could make the jump into the Top 1000:
Train to Busan
Hush
The Wailing
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Shallows
The Neon Demon

This is also a great video about why the same films keep top lists of Great Horror followed by a well-explained Alternate Top 5.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
This is also a great video about why the same films keep top lists of Great Horror followed by a well-explained Alternate Top 5.

I've only seen one of their four alternative picks.  Perhaps for next year I should have a horror list of shame.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
The Silenced

Girls in a sanitarium are promised that they can go to Japan if they excel in sports. Why are the girls disappearing in a sanitarium mysteriously though? What happened to a previous resident of the place whom every one seems to despise to the extreme? It is a simple story in the end and it is told fairly well. I wish we had some badness and more intrigue like The Handmaiden though. The craft in the story telling in that film was that the viewer was aware of the mystery slowly, as the director wanted. This movie isn't as deft. The action sequences leave a lot to be desired as well. This is more of a morbid tale than a horror film. Sort of Korean modern noir, if you will. It is okay, could have been better. 3/5.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »

I've only seen one of their four alternative picks.  Perhaps for next year I should have a horror list of shame.

I've seen one too, which is very surprising.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »

Fascinating list. I've seen three and they're all great.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
Because of the video I re-watched Blood and Black Lace. I can appreciate how it looks - pretty much defining Giallo - and how ahead of its time it is with the murders, brutality and sex, but I don't care about any of the characters, who become a formless mass of mannequins.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »
I showed Shaun of the Dead to Mrs. 1SO a few years ago. She doesn't like Zombies - Zombieland was the one thumb down I've gotten from her all month - but she loves Pegg & Frost and doesn't remember this one much, so it's in the "maybe" pile. She rejected my plans for Alien & Aliens, even though she tends to be okay with creature features. Instead my grand finale with her will be Attack the Block.

Wouldn't Attack the Block and Shaun of the Dead make a good double feature? You could grab some Cornetto's, a water gun and make a night of it. :)

A connection I didn't make until we watched the films tonight is the similarity between Moses' character development and Shaun's. Both start out as wastrels, doing nothing with their lives and no plans to change or improve themselves. Then comes the alien invasion/zombie attack and they are the ones in their group who step up and act the leader while coming to terms with their failings up to that point. A major difference is that Shaun is 29 and Moses is only 15.

Also, starting my wife's month with Get Out and ending it with Attack the Block has a nice symmetry. I could've just as easily double featured those two.

This was my first time watching Block since 2011, so first time since The Force Awakens. John Boyega has some serious Denzel-level charisma.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2017, 12:00:02 AM »
Sounds like a great Halloween for you and Mrs. 1SO. :) I haven't seen Attack the Block yet, so hopefully will remember it for next years marathon.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »

I've seen Peeping Tom.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love