Author Topic: mother!  (Read 11433 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: mother!
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
I was saying Aronofsky makes Eve that way because for him that is how the Bible treats women, and Eve is basically the only biblical female character we get in the movie. She stands in for all the temptresses and agents of chaos and sin.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
I was saying Aronofsky makes Eve that way because for him that is how the Bible treats women, and Eve is basically the only biblical female character we get in the movie. She stands in for all the temptresses and agents of chaos and sin.

I certainly see that Pfeiffer's character has these characteristics.  That's just not biblical Eve.  The ancient Jews wanted a female character that represented this, and so they invented Lilith.  That's where my confusion comes from.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »
You may not read biblical Eve that way, but Aronofsky may read women in the Bible like that. Not to mention how misogynistic most denominations are.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
That's the thing.  I totally get this film as a statement about Christianity or about the three major Yahwistic religions.  But a simple reading of the Bible doesn't get that.  I think it has more to do with humanity than the text of the Bible.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love