Poll

Who would you most like to have direct a Star Wars movie (3 options)?

George Lucas is the only director for me.
2 (4.9%)
I scoff at your mainstream suggestions (someone not listed).
1 (2.4%)
James Cameron
4 (9.8%)
Denis Villeneuve
1 (2.4%)
Steven Spielberg
4 (9.8%)
David Fincher
5 (12.2%)
Jeff Nichols
1 (2.4%)
Alex Garland
0 (0%)
Jon Favreau
0 (0%)
Joss Whedon
2 (4.9%)
Kathryn Bigelow
5 (12.2%)
Ridley Scott
1 (2.4%)
George Miller
3 (7.3%)
Michael Bay
1 (2.4%)
Peter Jackson
1 (2.4%)
James Gunn
0 (0%)
David Yates
0 (0%)
Scott Derickson
0 (0%)
The Russo Brothers
1 (2.4%)
Dan Trachtenberg
0 (0%)
Matt Reeves
2 (4.9%)
Ang Lee
0 (0%)
Ming-liang Tsai
1 (2.4%)
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
3 (7.3%)
David Lynch
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Hypothetical Star Wars Directors  (Read 4110 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Hypothetical Star Wars Directors
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
Ming-liang Tsai
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
David Lynch
Lynch was in the conversation to direct Jedi, right?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 05:43:31 AM »
Added Martin's picks.

My vote:

Joss Whedon (setting the tone with episode one)
James Cameron (directing the second episode, because that's his thing)
The Russo Brothers (bringing it home)

HM: George Miller (in a standalone, don't know how well he could play with others), Matt Reeves (has proven he can execute a successful action trilogy that's about more than the thrills)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
I think the clear answer for me is Spielberg. He's still got it (fingers crossed he can make something of Ready Player One, but Tintin and Lincoln and War Horse and Bridge of Spies are all great), and I think he could do something really great, perhaps with a kid-starring movie in the universe.

I do hope that there are a few horror films added to the franchise now that it's branching out so wide. To that end, del Toro is an obvious pick for me, but somebody like Neil Marshall might be interesting. Maybe throw Sunshine-Danny Boyle in there, especially if he meets up with 28 Days Later-Danny Boyle. Frank Darabont could really just adapt The Mist to include Star Wars-type monsters and settings and I'd be in. I'm not sure Disney would go for a Slither-James Gunn movie, but I sure would. Alejandro Amenabar doing a haunted space station movie a la The Others could be great. I'd love to see Michael Dougherty of Trick'r'Treat and Krampus get a shot. He's shown that he's pretty good with practical monsters. Maybe have Matt Reeves return to the Cloverfield thing with a big alien that threatens a town or city on a remote planet, or even Coruscant.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »
So should I add any of those options?

I personnaly think horror is the wrong direction to take the franchise. Making a war movie with RO made sense but the movies you're describing could all be made in other universes. I don't see what's Star Wars about them except for the locations.

You lost me at kid-starring by the way.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
My love for Star Wars is not based on the movies. I don't give a flying CINECAST! about the main series. I'm not emotionally invested with too many of the characters, and the OT so closely adheres to the Hero With a Thousand Faces thing that it all becomes pretty rote if you've seen or read literally anything else. The PT is bad bad bad bad bad, and the ST looks like it will be the best movies, but also I don't care outside the thrills and some of the characters. This is not my myth.

My myth comes from the books I read as a kid. I'm interested in Star Wars because I read the Young Jedi Knights series and loved it. My myth comes from the Madalorian Armor trilogy. My myth comes from the Shadows of the Empire book. And a large part of my myth comes from the Galaxy of Fear series, which was my Goosebumps, too. I'm not looking for these people to direct the 23rd installment in a linear series. I'm looking for them to explore the crevices that exist in the massive universe that a few fine movies spawned. I don't care about those fine movies, I care about the books (and games like Dark Forces) that fueled my childhood. Since that's the same reasoning pretty much every Star Wars fan uses, just applied to different sections of the universe, I don't see why mine should be any less valid than any others. It's also not about taking the franchise is one direction or another. I'm sure that there will continue to be main-line entries for all eternity. I'm looking for offshoots. I want smaller budget horror things set in a universe I love despite not caring for the main entries in the series. They won't destroy your space samurai, I swear it.

And no, I don't want you to add all of them. I'll vote for the 'berg and be done with it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:12:25 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 01:16:50 PM »
It scares me sometimes how eerily similar Junior's logic is to my own. Only exception is my Star Wars love comes mostly from the video games.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
KOTOR!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
KOTOR and KOTOR II are formative parts of my life.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Of course, they're great!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
Uncle Yoda Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Cemetery of Endor
Sith Drones and a Century

If DarkeningHumour lived in the US I'd have to sue him because I almost died from laughter at this.

I wouldn't want to see Spielberg make a new Star Wars, I just wish he had directed Episode I.  With some script re-writes and a better director for actors, he would have made that film spectacular.

For the next one, I like the idea of George Miller taking a swing, although he might be too silly, or Kathryn Bigelow, although she might not be silly enough (on the other hand, Strange Days).  If we chose James Cameron, it might take him ten years to make the next film as he waited for the next technology to be developed.  Joss Whedon would be fun, but it would just be another episode in the Whedonverse, not the Star Wars Universe.   Lynch already had his shot in Dune and he missed, big time.  The one who I think would make a great stand alone Star Wars is David Fincher, who could finally put some decent dialog and a new look to a SW film.

What about Patty Jenkins?  I know she's busy with the next Wonder Woman movie, but she has struck a solid and populist tone in that series and I bet she's ripe for the next challenge.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love