Author Topic: #613: The Edge of Seventeen / Top 5 Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women  (Read 928 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

In most teen coming of age movies, it’s usually the boys who do the coming of age. But in THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN, the focus is squarely on the girls. First-time feature director Kelly Fremon Craig’s film has been praised by critics, but mostly ignored by audiences. Adam and Josh share some praise of their own and TCM's Marya E. Gates calls in to share her picks for the Top 5 Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women. Plus: some post-credits ARRIVAL spoiler talk.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Totoro

Re: #613: The Edge of Seventeen / Top 5 Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:26:57 AM »
I am so happy you reviewed this!!!

etopp

Re: #613: The Edge of Seventeen / Top 5 Teen Girl Movies Directed by Women
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
I didn't see this in the cinema and I just watched it on DVD. I do not understand your praise of this film. Mostly, the plot is predictable. In good romances, this is not a problem because the characters are likeable. Here it is the opposite. Nadine is annoying. Erwin is boring. When the plot is not predictable it is unbelievable. Nadine says she can't drive. Suddenly, she steals her mother's car and is Baby Driver. The end is underwhelming: Darian hugs Nadine and changes her personality.

You seem surprised by the poor box office for this film. For better or worse (mostly worse), mainstream Hollywood movies are made for teenage boys. Try selling this: "The main character is a whiny prick tease".

Is there a director's cut where Nadine jumps off an overpass? If you want a good teen romance, watch Sixteen Candles.