Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049  (Read 135 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Blade Runner 2049
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:15:54 AM »
Thirty-five years after the original “Blade Runner” brought its influential tech-noir vision of the future to movie screens, the highly anticipated sequel has finally arrived. Michael Phillips joins Josh for a review.

0:00-3:58 - Billboard
3:58-34:21 - Review: "Blade Runner: 2049"
34:21-36:20 - Close
Texan Down Under

Kelina

Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
**SPOILER INFO INCLUDED IN POST**  Did Villenueve Rely on Ex Machina To Drive A Major Plot Point?

Given how important the Memory Maker is to the film, in two ways, as the magician capable of producing convincing memories and as The Girl, shouldn't K's discovery of her been part of his journey? In the film, K learns Memory Maker is an MVP in the memory world but we're not shown how he learns this pivotal information. K and the audience are told she's important, off-screen, rather than being shown to us. This omission diminishes the film by shortcutting our hero's journey since the emotional climax of the film hinges on the identity of Memory Maker and K's comprehension of her existence.The audience is denied this emotional payoff because K's path to her feels like a cheat when the information is provided off-screen.

As I watched the final scenes of the movie my emotional heartbeat flatlined. I didn't care about the reunion. I didn't care about Memory Maker. I didn't care that K was making an exhausted snow angel - and I largely felt this way because the movie cheated in it's build up to, and introduction of Memory Maker. She's too important of a character for K to simply know to go to her. His path to her should have been in the journey.

**Also, this is my first time posting. Hope I'm not violating Guidelines For Conduct or community standards.**
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:04:32 PM by Junior »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
New member!

Someone get the cake.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/