love

Author Topic: #655: Thor: Ragnarok / Top 5 Superhero Costumes  (Read 1004 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#655: Thor: Ragnarok / Top 5 Superhero Costumes
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »

With new superhero movies making their way to screens every couple of months, less devoted fans of the genre start to look for a more compelling reason to check out the latest installment. Like handing the reins of Marvel's new "Thor" movie to a director best known for a vampire mockumentary. On this week’s show, a review of director Taika Waititi’s THOR: RAGNAROK (long may you reign, Jeff Goldblum), and Adam and Josh go shopping for post-Halloween discounts with their Top 5 Superhero Costumes.

Listen here.
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Smoke

• band website
Re: #655: Thor: Ragnarok / Top 5 Superhero Costumes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »
I was surprised you both disliked the fight scenes...I loved them, mainly because they were kept short. I even paused for thankfulness after the first Cate Blanchett battle (where she takes out about 500 soldiers) simply demonstrated her badassedness and then let the movie move on. In some of these comic book flicks that would have lasted 20 minutes, or felt that way. The big, final battle was also dispatched with quickly - and what a relief that was after so many that seem to go on and pointlessly on. As you might guess, I'm not a big fan of comic movies or action movies in general so maybe it's not a surprise that I thought this was one of the better ones, it's more Mel Brooks than Michael Bay. Hearing spontaneous laughter around me in a crowded theater at that first close-up of Jeff Goldblum was a treat.

Josh

• Administrator
    • LarsenOnFilm
Re: #655: Thor: Ragnarok / Top 5 Superhero Costumes
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »
I was surprised you both disliked the fight scenes...I loved them, mainly because they were kept short. I even paused for thankfulness after the first Cate Blanchett battle (where she takes out about 500 soldiers) simply demonstrated her badassedness and then let the movie move on. In some of these comic book flicks that would have lasted 20 minutes, or felt that way.

I suppose these are a bit briefer than battles in other comic-book movies, but that's faint praise by comparison. I still hope for these movies to deliver an action scene that's exhilarating to experience, not something to quickly endure. (Wonder Woman's battle on the beach being a positive example.)