2 (11.1%)
Thor: Ragnarok
4 (22.2%)
Wonder Woman
1 (5.6%)
haven't seen enough
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Superheroes 2017  (Read 7134 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Superheroes 2017
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
Marvel is really not the studio we should be worried about here.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Marvel is really not the studio we should be worried about here.

+1

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
The harsh reception for WONDER WOMAN here is bizarre. There's not a single moment in any of the MCU films this year that is as awe-inspiring as Diana walking out of the trenches. People cheered in my audience. That didn't happen with the two MCU films I saw in theaters for any individual moment. By no means is it perfect, but I am far likelier to purchase a ticket for WONDER WOMAN 2 opening night than any other MCU film sans BLACK PANTHER (which is literally my last hope for Feige).

DC, if they give the reigns to Jenkins/Whedon, may turn the corner in a year or two.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:59:04 AM by AliceGuyBlache »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »
To start with, you've watched one of the two DCU movies this year only, the good one. Whatever Wonder Woman has going for it, Justice League more than makes up for in mediocrity, which puts the tally at over 50% of the studio's movies, and that's only because I like Man of Steel more than most. Now, you may not like the Marvel formula that much, and there certainly wasn't anything in the same tone as WW's most thrilling scenes, but none of those movies were war films, not to mention I would argue they are all better written, constructed and generally well made than WW. And even if you don't believe that, unless you're the one person I know who likes the DCU's fest of drab and dreary, you're basing your praise on a single movie, out of five.

Then you have 20th Century Fox who this year released the first X-Men (discounting Deadpool) movie worthy of the name since First Class - or, if you're me, the original trilogy. So they have to get their act together too. And that's not to mention Sony, which finally got Spider-Man right, by letting Marvel do all the work, or the Power Rangers movie.

Which is why I don't begin to see how Feige is the one who should get his act together. By all accounts, among people who like these movies, he's had a hell of a year.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
The harsh reception for WONDER WOMAN here is bizarre. There's not a single moment in any of the MCU films this year that is as awe-inspiring as Diana walking out of the trenches. People cheered in my audience.
In my WW audience there was a bigger moment of reaction. It was at the end of the Ragnarok trailer when Hulk appears and Thor cheers letting the crowd know, "He's a friend from work."

Later that summer there's the expertly executed scene in Spider-Man Homecoming between Tom Holland and Michael Keaton that's nothing more than a car ride and dialogue. I don't even remember a scene of dialogue in Wonder Woman that's above average.

Then there's the single moment earlier in the summer when Yondu says...

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
How loud are your audiences? The entire cinema could be on the edge of their seats and I would have no idea.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
If the best moment in a DC film is the heroic action scene, then every Marvel film easily surpassed it this year because its best moments were all about characters and their relationships, which is far more interesting and human than what DC has been able to muster.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Thank you Sam.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:05 PM »
The harsh reception for WONDER WOMAN here is bizarre. There's not a single moment in any of the MCU films this year that is as awe-inspiring as Diana walking out of the trenches. People cheered in my audience.

Later that summer there's the expertly executed scene in Spider-Man Homecoming between Tom Holland and Michael Keaton that's nothing more than a car ride and dialogue. I don't even remember a scene of dialogue in Wonder Woman that's above average.

That's a great scene, but to imply that strong moments in cinema are exclusively centered around dialogue instead of visuals is pretty absurd. The whole film has Steve and others restrain her from fighting back, so that moment was quite literally breathtaking. Slow motion done right, to emphasize the moment: here's a female superhero fighting back against the constant sexism and repression from all around her to finally do what she's does best. It's a perfectly modulated, built up moment, one that I - and many more as I previously mentioned - found mesmerizing. They could've gave her a regular origin story where she's just the super solider they put on the frontline, but she's repeatedly forced to compromise herself up until that point for men who "know better". It's novel not only because it's proudly feminist, but also because it's a glorious moment of fulfilling an identity.

These other scenes - as good as they are - are variations of previous scenes from other superhero movies. The scene where Vulture figures out Peter's identity in HOMECOMING hearkens back to the Raimi SPIDER-MAN. The conversation where he threatens him is a staple, just refined to the best degree. Best scene of the movie, though, and all the more reason why Vulture should've succeeded in defeating Spider-Man.

These other two didn't get much of a reaction outside a laugh. They're memorable punchlines. Whedon and Gunn did them before and better in preceding MCU films. They're not anything new.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »
That's a great scene, but to imply that strong moments in cinema are exclusively centered around dialogue instead of visuals is pretty absurd. The whole film has Steve and others restrain her from fighting back, so that moment was quite literally breathtaking. Slow motion done right, to emphasize the moment: here's a female superhero fighting back against the constant sexism and repression from all around her to finally do what she's does best. It's a perfectly modulated, built up moment, one that I - and many more as I previously mentioned - found mesmerizing. They could've gave her a regular origin story where she's just the super solider they put on the frontline, but she's repeatedly forced to compromise herself up until that point for men who "know better". It's novel not only because it's proudly feminist, but also because it's a glorious moment of fulfilling an identity.

My reaction was perhaps more muted because I had heard there was this awesome 'trench' scene before I watched the movie, I knew by the convention of the genre and the film's title that Wonder Woman was going to eventually cut loose and kick ass (though it's still a thrill watching it actually happen), and I didn't feel the film was building up to this because we had all that wonderful feminist warrior action on Themyscira. But, like I said, muted, not cancelled out. I definitely see your point, and I love the visual bookends starting with the overhead shot of WW taking all the gunfire and ending with the leaping kick out of the window.