Author Topic: #MeToo: Sexual Harassment Bonanza 2017  (Read 1170 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: #MeToo: Sexual Harassment Bonanza 2017
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:31 PM »
The Ripple Effect. Grateful it's finding its way to expose doctrinal control. If you think Harvey Weinstein was powerful, play the God card to see the damage.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:53:28 PM by Sandy »
"Inside you there's a strength that lies."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »
I'd recommend going to read the comic The Fade Out or watching Hail, Caesar! as both of those perfectly capture the history and culture of Hollywood. I read all this stuff at school and knew I could never work in the business because I'm too confrontational when it comes to men abusing women.

It's also the main reason I decided to not become a film critic/journalist after getting my BA. I saw all the corruption and greed going on unchecked and heard the messed up stories of people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski that people seemed quick to overlook. I also called Quentin Tarantino a racist in a class full of white guys and that did not go over well.

I got an MA just to see if I could do some education at the college level and teach these kids to not just accept what they see on film as neutral. Every collective art is a compromise of worldviews but there's always someone who wants to be the king of the production and run the place and some kings are absolute jerks to the people around them.

That's not so much a Hollywood thing but a life thing but I've seen how this was a long time coming and honestly, I think it'll be healthy in the long run to cut these men off and give them a chance to get the help they need with the hopes that some of them will come back with humility (See Mel Gibson/RDJ). I believe in second chances, but you also need to be shrewd about having someone keep everyone else involved safe. It's why I make every conversation with a women with at least a third party witnessing in my work. It's a professionalism thing and there are lots of men who get the power and then just think they can bully women into whatever they want to do with them.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
It's why I make every conversation with a women with at least a third party witnessing in my work. It's a professionalism thing
Do you do this for men too? If it's about professionalism I imagine you do. Seems like a very awkward and cumbersome way to do your job.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
You can PM me if you want more details, but what I said is all I can say here publicly.