Author Topic: #MeToo: Sexual Harassment in Entertainment World  (Read 22467 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: #MeToo: Sexual Harassment Bonanza 2017
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Why do I feel like I am going to go to sleep and tomorrow this thread is going to be 25 pages of new allegations and shattered illusions?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
I always hesitate posting (here or anywhere) this stuff because it's akin to gossip (or whatever the proper word is), but the stuff about Louis C.K.... working at various production/media companies in NYC, I'd need a lot of fingers to count the number of stories I was told. Especially in regards to being sure C.K. didn't interact with female staff.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
There were revelations by Jen Kirkman and Tig Notaro quite some time ago.

I would be interested in hearing those if you happen to recall where they spoke about it.

So far all of these stories have been a surprise to me.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
Kirkman spoke about it on her podcast (see here). She didn't name CK, but it was pretty clear. Can't remember when I first heard about Notaro's remarks.

A couple of older articles on this:

https://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/248905/about-gawkers-probe-for-louis-ck-masturbation-victims/ (see also the linked articles, dating back to 2012)
https://decider.com/2016/07/01/roseanne-barr-calls-out-louis-ck-for-sexual-misconduct/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »
Well it seems like the individuals who came out publicly are being supported by many other comedians, which is good. I imagine it is a subject that will get discussed a lot on various podcasts now that it's broke. I look forward to seeing how the story is received and processed.

I imagine these accusations will be as far as this story goes, since it doesn't sound like anyone is pursuing legal action. Nor is there necessarily a case, not that there needs to be one to justify speaking out. The information is out there now in a big way, so I guess the purpose has been served. One would think going forward this should prevent further instances of the same thing happening.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:36:05 AM by smirnoff »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 04:47:24 AM »
What the actual CINECAST!?

How are you surprised by this?

I mean, was this so well-known ? It's always weird to me how when these things are revealed people say "well, everybody knew". Clearly "everybody" didn't "know", or this wouldn't be a scandal ? I mean I had no idea Louis CK was that kind of guy no, and I'm curious how one was supposed to ?

What Teproc said. I hadn't even heard of Weinstein until a month ago.

Even if you hadn't heard about those, his comic persona is such that it shouldn't be this big shocking surprise that he's kind of a creep.

That was the whole point of his persona. He was the guy who could admit to all the little things that people do but don't talk about, such as masturbation, make jokes about it all, and be somewhat well adjusted as a result.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:33 AM »
I am going to make a point that is not going to be very popular now. Kevin Spacey is being replaced in his upcoming movie by another actor and it seems for now CK's new movie is not going to be released at all. While I would agree that firing Spacey from House of Cards is the right move to make in this situation, the two other things don't sound right to me.

One work of art is being modified ad hoc for reasons extraneous to the work itself and another one is being censured because of the actions of its creator. The latter sounds a lot like cases of literature that was written by racists and such being banned even though the books themselves are not racist - as an example. I realise it is not the same because CK stands to profit from any release of his movie, but being denied this thing that was created sits wrong with me, even though I cannot claim to be entitled to see it.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 05:05:17 AM »
That they stand to profit is not a small difference though. Also, it's just a case of companies looking out for their PR: it's only worth rejoicing about because it shows that you can't entirely get away with it. CKs film will be out at some point in some way I'm sure, in any case, it just won't benefit from the publicity of being in the Oscar race and all that jazz.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 05:16:03 AM »
I imagine Spacey is going to be paid, or probably already has been, for his work on the new movie? What they're taking from him is really the cachet of being associated with another movie.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
I'm not sure there is much consistency to much of this, which makes me pessimistic long-term. For Spacey and Louis CK there is immediate grounding of their involvement in projects. Does it become a lifetime ban going forward or do they get to sit on the bench for a while before making their comeback, Mel Gibson-style. And why do they face this ban, but Woody Allen, Casey Affleck et al. keep motoring along even though both have faced public allegation? Where is the threshold? At some point, if it doesn't move from arbitrary and reactionary to systematic, there won't be progress.