Author Topic: DOCember 2017  (Read 1117 times)

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: DOCember 2017
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:19 AM »
I Am Not Your Negro - Sobering, though the inserted footage was maybe a bit too much for me at times, especially because the actual footage of Baldwin hit so hard. Top to bottom a dense, rewarding, and powerful work that had my attention throughout. It feels literary, almost to a fault at times as it delves nearly in to audiobook territory, and stands as a strong entry in my DOCember slate.

I forgot about this one.  I'll catch up with it before the year ends.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • All temperatures are in centigrades.
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
Ice Guardians (Brett Harvey, 2016)

A Netflix doc about an endangered species in the National Hockey League: the enforcer. That is, the bad cop character on the team that gets out on the ice and takes a beating for the team while he tries to deliver some punches himself. As the game has gotten faster, and also because changes in the rules, the need for this type of player has lessened. This documentary investigates the change thoroughly and if you have only a little basic knowledge of the game and is unfamiliar with the most influential players all the talking heads we meet in this movie will lead you astray a little. In the end, it kind of laments the change the game has gone through and looks back on the days gone by with a tear in the corner of the eye. Personally, I can't say I share that sentiment very much.

I might remember it all differently tomorrow.

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2017, 07:03:24 PM »
AlphaGO will be on Netflix starting January 1st, I think.

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »

The Emperor’s Naked Army Marches On (1987)

62-year-old Okuzaki Kenzo is one of those loose cannon crusaders, easily dismissed as nuts even if what they're doing has its own unshakable logic. With no fear of reprisals he barrels ahead with an investigation into the mysterious deaths of two soldiers back at the end of World War II. The documentary focuses as much on Kenzo as what he discovers, which is fitting because the effects of the war seems to have had a hand in his current attitude. Though elderly, he's dangerous and unpredictable, often bragging about the time he attacked the Emperor with a slingshot.

I can't say much against this film. The director doesn't present Kenzo for ridicule or uncomfortable humor, though his polite way with violence and bad social timing could've had that effect. It's interesting to come to understand what's driving him to uncover a secret everyone has buried and moved away from. The balance of subject and story is rarely so balanced in a documentary. Despite all the outrageous behavior and wild discoveries, it's an oddly polite and low-key viewing.
RATING: * * * - Okay

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
Every time I watch a documentary, I think of how much I like this type of story telling and wish to seek out more. Normally the marathon months are the impetus for prioritizing genres, but alas, December is a bust for me. Even though I'm a month late, I've been wanting to see BC:NY for a long time and grabbed a chance to do so.

Bill Cunningham: New York

"He who seeks beauty will find it."

A bicycle riding energizer bunny Buddha, Bill Cunningham spouts enlightenment wherever he goes. From not forfeiting control, by having money change hands to differentiating people by their poetic attire and not their status, he lives his creeds, all while clicking away on his camera. Burdened, or brightened by his religious devotion, it's hard to tell, but I surmise it's a mixture of both. Yet, even under set constrictions, he learned to let his flair flag fly and has lived his life in the pursuit of his one true passion -- clothing. Such an honor to learn about him and his particular beauty, and had I known who he was, I would have been on the lookout the handful of times I've been in the city and sought to capture him with my camera!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:25:07 PM by Sandy »
"Inside you there's a strength that lies."

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
What a lovely doc that is.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."