Author Topic: DOCember 2017  (Read 18087 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: DOCember 2017
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
Not sure about exciting, my area of law is construction defects. Though now that I say that, you'd probably be particularly interested given your history of home renovation and preference for docs about guys who build cabins in the wilds.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 11:44:59 PM »
I've not made it a point to try to watch Docs in December but caught Author: The JT LeRoy Story yesterday. I can't say I remember anything about this when it actually happened but remember hearing the story on WTF podcast at the time this film came out. It seemed interesting enough for me to make a note to myself to watch it at some future date.

Similar to what I remember from the Podcast, the story is interesting enough how Laura Albert gets pulled into the literary as this great, daring new writer under the name JT Leroy. As her popularity blows up, she pulls her sister-in-law into the hoax to be the stand-in "JT Leroy" whenever there needs to be a public appearance. Soon they are invited to hang out with U2, going to concerts, hanging out in Cannes and working with Asia Argento to have one of her books made into a movie.

The entire time, all of these people think there is an actual JT Leroy that wrote these books are fiction but partially based on his/her life.  Only after a reporter uncovers the truth, does it all come crashing down.  Quite a fantastic rise and fall from fame story but the Doc falls a bit short as they give almost all the talking points to Laura Albert who basically walks us through the story. Very little is heard from all the others that had befriended and deceived by her. It is worth a watch though there probably are better forms of the story that would be more interesting to explore.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:05 AM »
I Called Him Morgan

The story of Helen Morgan, who killed her husband, Lee Morgan, a rising jazz trumpeter.

It is a fine introduction to Morgan's music, as it spends a lot of it's length just playing the music.  It's good stuff.  But, at most, the story of Helen and the killing should have taken a half hour.  It looks good, but it's just too long.

3/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 03:45:54 AM »
Not sure about exciting, my area of law is construction defects. Though now that I say that, you'd probably be particularly interested given your history of home renovation and preference for docs about guys who build cabins in the wilds.

If they ever make a documentary about smirnoff, I want it to be narrated by Herzog.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:20 AM »
Everything should be narrated by herzog
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 04:37:12 AM »
No, no. Everything should be narrated by Stephen Fry.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:05 AM »
The Worst Lie Is The Documentary (Staffan Julén, 2017)

Svetlana Alexievich was awarded the Nobel Prize in Litterature in 2015. She is currently writing a book in which she explores the Russian relationship with love. Her working process is a time consuming one and for three years the Swedish film maker Staffan Julén traveled around Belarus and Russia together with Svetlana to follow an document her process. The result is a documentary called Lyubov: Love In Russian (2017). The Worst Lie Is The Documentary is a sort of behind film to that documentary and it depicts how the director in a way became a little tangeld up in her project himself.

This was shown on Swedish public television and the main reason I watched it was because of my The Nobel Prize In Literature Marathon here in the forum.

40˚
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:33 AM »
The Work (Jarius McLeary, 2017)

I didn't know much about this film before sitting down to watch it. I had heard it was supposed to be quite good, but why? It tells the story of a four day, intensive group therapy session which takes place in New Folsom Prison between a group of hardened inmates, some of whom have gone through the program, some of whom have not, and a group of civilians looking for something themselves. These civilians, however, are not that much different than the convicts from a psychological perspective. There are all shattered souls looking for something to begin to put the pieces back together.

It is a short, swift, and very concentrated film which follows just a few people, but each have their moment, and each is as earth shattering as the one that came before it. To a (somewhat) well-adjusted person like myself, at first glance these outbursts and breakthroughs feel put on. That they are excessively genuine and important to the subjects is what makes this a truly remarkable film.

***1/2 - Great
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
Ugh, people and their feelings.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
Ugh, people and their feelings.

I know, right
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."