Author Topic: Foo Fighters: or The Holy S****  (Read 3487 times)

aewade90

• Letterboxd:
Re: Foo Fighters: or The Holy S****
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
My Bloody Valentine and Nine Inch Nails were probably my two most listened to bands during college days. I don't think I had listened to MBV for at least 5 years but strangely played Loveless yesterday.

Yeah, for me, NIN was totally a high-school angst band, but Reznor's soundtrack material and Ghosts end up being background music for a lot of study sessions, ten years on. And I'll still spin The Fragile or Downward Spiral occasionally.

MBV, though, I probably listen to Loveless at least once a week. mbv (the album) even gets decent rotation. I was lucky enough to see them live two times on the last Australian tour and I don't think I'll ever hear anything louder.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
...Now I'm curious to what your favorite bands are. Would you be interested in telling me your top five groups?

Oh man, five is always a tough call. At the moment I'd have to call it for Bowie, Talking Heads, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, and a last place five-way-tie between Death From Above 1979, LCD Soundsystem, and either Dillinger Escape Plan, The Beatles, or Prince (and it's probably Prince to be honest).

5 I know well and 4 I don't know anything about (guess which ones). :) I have some homework to do!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »
The Pretender
Come Alive
Everlong
Long Road to Ruin
Let It Die
The Colour and the Shape is the only Foo I really care about:

1. February Stars
2. Everlong
3. Walking After You
4. Monkey Wrench
5. My Hero

pixote
Also, I totally blanked on mentioning "White Limo". That song is a banger, and I wish the band would tread on the heavier side more often.

"White Limo" wasn't played at the concert I went to, but there were three from each of your favorites lists, DH and pixote! :)

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?topic=728.msg884361#msg884361

I've been listening to your choices, mixed with the other FF songs I know and have been trying to come up with my own top 5. Difficult task! Today, this is my list.

1. Everlong (acoustic version)
2. Times Like These
3. My Hero
4. Walking After You
5. Best of You

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »
I was listening to this cover the other day and thought of this thread, wondering if my list here should have included that track. Probably more like a #7 song though.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
I was listening to this cover the other day and thought of this thread, wondering if my list here should have included that track. Probably more like a #7 song though.

pixote
I really like Gerry Rafferty's music. The other week I accidentally watched a documentary on him in three parts on YouTube. I'd recommend without hesitation to anyone with the slightest interest in his music.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
Enjoying the documentary!

Lightning really struck with the greatness of "Baker Street." Foo Fighters honored it well and yet it has their signature style squarely stamped on it, which makes me love their version even more than the original. That's not really fair to say, because it wouldn't exist without the first one, and I wouldn't love it as much if I didn't already know the song so well.