Author Topic: The Nobel Prize In Literature Marathon  (Read 1275 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
The Nobel Prize In Literature Marathon
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
114 writers have been awarded the prize since 1901. Ticking them off here one at a time.

RecipientSelected workRelated viewings
1962John Steinbeck (USA)Of Mice And Men (1937)11/17Of Mice And Men (Lewis Milestone, 1939)
2015Svetlana Alexievich (Belarus)Voices From Chernobyl (2005 edition)12/17The Worst Lie Is The Documentary (Staffan Julén, 2017)
2017Kazuo Ishiguro (United Kingdom)Nocturnes (2009)3/18
Up next
1920Knut Hamsun (Norway)Hunger (1890)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:46:55 AM by Knocked Out Loaded »
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Nobel Prize In Literature Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »
I'd recommend Camus's The Fall and Golding's The Spire if you haven't read those.

Also curious to see what you'll select for Bob Dylan.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
Are you reading the book and also watching the movie? Or only the movie version of the book?

This is an inspired marathon!
Texan Down Under

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:33:39 AM »
I whined to my wife some time ago that I read far too little and as a consequence we decided to try to read a book from each and every winner of the Nobel Prize. There will be no chronolgy and which book we select from a writer will be totally arbitrary, depending on what is availible. We still haven't decided what to do with the poets, really. This is essentially a marathon of books but as I mused over the whole thing the thought of expanding it here seemed like a nice one. If the book in question is filmed I think I will go there, but a documentary or some YouTube clip will work as fine as long as it is connected to the author in question in some way.

Thank you so much for the recommendations, Sam! At least William Golding got a push nearer the top (I guess I will watch Lord Of The Flies in his case). As third author I have a notion that my wife will go for Selma Lagerlöf (I then will watch The Phantom Carriage regardless). For my own part I am gleaning towards Patrick White as the choice thereafter. We'll see.

Dylan btw has written two books, Tarantula (which is rumoured to be almost unreadable) and an autobiography titled Chronicles, Volume 1. I have read none, but Solveig (my wife) did read Chronicles when it was published. Renaldo And Clara is almost 100% certain as a watch for Dylan. At the moment he has low priority however.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:13:59 AM »
A good joke, but not sure how it fits with the thread. Welcome to the forum MarvinNug.