love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper  (Read 37965 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »
Re-post from the main Top 100 thread.

Well May 2019 is my month it seems and I have failed to update my top 100 so it is the same one as last time. The list can be found here. I will add 1 more film to the list so going with a top 101. The extra film is Jeremy (1973), I watched it recently and while I do not think it will make my top 100 I am curious about people's views of it. No I have not written a review of the film.

Let the watching begin

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Did you learn about Jeremy from Mark Kermode? He recently did an entire podcast about it which got me curious.
I may also have a line on a copy of Boxing Day (2007) this time.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
9.  (9) Ring of Bright Water (Jack Couffer  1969)
24.  (25) Once Were Warriors  (Lee Tamahori  1994)
54.  (54) Dead Man Walking  (Tim Robbins  1995)
82.  (83) Boxing Day  (Kriv Stenders  2007)
96.  (95) Love Exposure  (Sion Sono  2008)
Maybe this is the month I get around to Love Exposure? It's on several people's lists and every time it comes up I think "this is the month" but it never is. DMW and OWW are also films I've been meaning to watch.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
I might watch it again. As unique a creation as Woman in the Dunes, but with a truly perverse sense of humor.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
Did you learn about Jeremy from Mark Kermode? He recently did an entire podcast about it which got me curious.
I may also have a line on a copy of Boxing Day (2007) this time.

Yes that is where I heard about it, and then I found it on Stan (an Australian streaming service).
That is some impressive searching to find a copy of Boxing Day

9.  (9) Ring of Bright Water (Jack Couffer  1969)
24.  (25) Once Were Warriors  (Lee Tamahori  1994)
54.  (54) Dead Man Walking  (Tim Robbins  1995)
82.  (83) Boxing Day  (Kriv Stenders  2007)
96.  (95) Love Exposure  (Sion Sono  2008)
Maybe this is the month I get around to Love Exposure? It's on several people's lists and every time it comes up I think "this is the month" but it never is. DMW and OWW are also films I've been meaning to watch.

Love Exposure is a long film, I wonder if you will be able to do it in one sitting. At the cinema that is easy, but at home, will see.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:44:05 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
In one sitting meaning without major interruptions, yes. In one sitting meaning without pausing, absolutely not.

"Told in real time and shot as a single take, BOXING DAY..." ok now I want to watch Boxing Day.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:16:26 PM by PeacefulAnarchy »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
In one sitting meaning without major interruptions, yes. In one sitting meaning without pausing, absolutely not.

Fair enough :)

"Told in real time and shot as a single take, BOXING DAY..." ok now I want to watch Boxing Day.

It will be difficult to find, but I hope you do

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2019, 02:39:32 AM »
Haven't seen the following, bolded are ones I have access to, not sure if any stand out as more likely to succeed.

Ring of Bright Water
El Topo
Bad Boy Bubby
The Holy Mountain

Boxing Day (2007)
Project A II
The Killer
Twilight Samurai
Jeremy

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2019, 03:09:52 AM »
Haven't seen the following, bolded are ones I have access to, not sure if any stand out as more likely to succeed.

Ring of Bright Water
El Topo
Bad Boy Bubby
The Holy Mountain

Boxing Day (2007)
Project A II
The Killer
Twilight Samurai
Jeremy
The iconoclastic nature of The Holy Mountain might work for you, if you don't hate its style (which is definitely a possibility). Bad Boy Bubby similarly probably has some themes that might interest you but it has an intentionally offputting tone and style. Both films show themselves early and often so if you hate them 5/10 minutes in you can feel pretty sure you'll hate the entire thing. I quite like (but don't love) both and you may too so this is actually my recommendation,  but they're shoot for the moon films that can just as easily crash for anyone, not safe bets at all.

Project A II is a Jackie Chan film, The Killer is a John Woo film, you know what you're getting with those. El Topo is worth it if Holy Mountain works for you, but I can't imagine someone liking El Topo but hating The Holy Mountain since it's equally weird but harder to engage with.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »
The Holy Mountain

Jodorowsky here feels like Pasolini by way of Lynch, with a few sprinkles of Roy Andersson perhaps. It started off well enough with some pointed critiques of colonialism and Catholicism and capitalism for good measure. That said by maybe a third into the film I feel like it had abstracted so much that I was no longer taking it in as metaphor and instead seeing merely spectacle. That melange of oddity, and nudity, certainly keeps the film from ever feeling boring or even overly frustrating, but it does leave me feeling empty more than inspired.

love