love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper  (Read 37971 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
I will go with EL TOPO and a really terrible blind spot/shame of mine THE LIFE OF BRIAN
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
L'Homme qui plantait des arbres (1987) 80/100 - Beautifully crafted animation short with a heart warming story about life and man's purpose on this planet. This definitely hit all the right emotional chords for me as I consider myself not a child of God, but a child of Mother Earth. Our time on this planet is short and how we spend that time is crucial. I've tried to live my life by paying it forward whenever I can. While also trying to adhere to the personal policy of voluntary simplicity, just like the shepherd in the story. The animation is creatively mesmerizing and I can see where Michael Dudok de Wit got some ideas for his Oscar winning animated short film Father and Daughter. It's only 30 minutes long, I think a lot of people here would like this very much.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
88.  (82) Boxing Day  (Kriv Stenders  2007)

So I already looked and it looks like this won't be happening this month either.

I was looking for other lists of favorites from you and the best I could find were 308 films on ICM that you favorited. Some I havent seen, the most recent one being Survival of the Film Freaks (2018). Is this a good course of action because I could send you a list of what I haven't seen? (Survival of the Film Freaks sounds right in my wheelhouse, but it's not available.)

Survival of the Film Freaks is on Amazon Prime at the moment

I thought you had already seen Boxing Day for an earlier  one of my turns

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »
The Twilight Samurai (2002) 90/100 - All throughout the film I saw the influences of most of the great Japanese directors, with one exception. No Kurosawa. You get the tragedy of Mizoguchi, the family depth of Ozu and the bushido breakdown of Kobayashi. I don't know why, but for years I thought this was just an anime film, and my disdain for that kind of animation, kept me from watching this hauntingly beautiful and tragic film. It's definitely not a film for those who like a good blood letting in their chanbara escapades. The pacing is drawn out and it lets you immerse yourself into the day to day struggles of Seibei and his small family. You want him to find some happiness as he struggles to provide for his family in the midst of impending civil war and a famine which is ravaging the peasantry. I only wish I got to watch a better copy of the film, instead of the washed out version I found on Hiroyuki Sanada's wall.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »
According to ICM I have not and all I could find here were posts about me looking for Boxing Day but not finding it.

Thanks for finding Survival of the Film Freaks. Does that work for you?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2020, 09:30:53 PM »
Survival of the Film Freaks works for me.

Sorry it was PeacefulAnarchy who watched Boxing Day.

Antares I will get to my responses a little later.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:33:42 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
I will go with EL TOPO and a really terrible blind spot/shame of mine THE LIFE OF BRIAN

I am so looking forward to a Life of Brian review (although as always a little nervous too).

El Topo is weird which is either going to grab you or not.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
L'Homme qui plantait des arbres (1987) 80/100 - Beautifully crafted animation short with a heart warming story about life and man's purpose on this planet. This definitely hit all the right emotional chords for me as I consider myself not a child of God, but a child of Mother Earth. Our time on this planet is short and how we spend that time is crucial. I've tried to live my life by paying it forward whenever I can. While also trying to adhere to the personal policy of voluntary simplicity, just like the shepherd in the story. The animation is creatively mesmerizing and I can see where Michael Dudok de Wit got some ideas for his Oscar winning animated short film Father and Daughter. It's only 30 minutes long, I think a lot of people here would like this very much.

You summed up my feelings beautifully. Looking at your review of The Twilight Samurai I am wondering what resulted in the difference in ratings? Is it that this was a short and lacked some of the depth of TTS?

I found Father and Daughter on YouTube so will watch that soon.

Thank you for watching the film.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2020, 10:20:11 PM »
The Twilight Samurai (2002) 90/100 - All throughout the film I saw the influences of most of the great Japanese directors, with one exception. No Kurosawa. You get the tragedy of Mizoguchi, the family depth of Ozu and the bushido breakdown of Kobayashi. I don't know why, but for years I thought this was just an anime film, and my disdain for that kind of animation, kept me from watching this hauntingly beautiful and tragic film. It's definitely not a film for those who like a good blood letting in their chanbara escapades. The pacing is drawn out and it lets you immerse yourself into the day to day struggles of Seibei and his small family. You want him to find some happiness as he struggles to provide for his family in the midst of impending civil war and a famine which is ravaging the peasantry. I only wish I got to watch a better copy of the film, instead of the washed out version I found on Hiroyuki Sanada's wall.

I did not have to perception to pick up the influences. The title does have a bit of an anime feel to it. When I first watched it I was expecting more of the fighting kind of film, but oh what a delightful surprise I had. You are right about the pacing it just draws you in so deeply. I wonder if that slower pacing is what is required to draw you in so deeply. As you say it is immersive.

Thank you for watching the film.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:47 PM »
According to ICM I have not and all I could find here were posts about me looking for Boxing Day but not finding it.

Thanks for finding Survival of the Film Freaks. Does that work for you?

I had a look though some of my recentish viewing of Australian films (always like to push them) and other than Survival of the Film Freaks here are some suggestions in order:

Caddie   A classic of Australian 70s film
Samson and Delilah   A different romance movie
Australian Rules   Battling loyalties
Pawno   An interesting little indie film
The Dressmaker   Revenge served cold
The Sapphires   A good biopic
Fair Game   Ozploitation film
Erskineville Kings   An early Huge Jackman film
Dating the Enemy   An early Guy Pearce film
The Infinite Man   An ok, but interesting time loop movie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:49:51 AM by Dave the Necrobumper »