Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper  (Read 37975 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:37 AM »
Of the round 4 participants the following have yet to post a review:

Junior
ses
MartinTeller
pixote
Sam the Cinema Snob
DarkeningHumour
Someone has revoked my membership card?!

Nope, you're still on the list.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2018, 01:42:22 AM »
KOL, I think oldkid didn't put you on the "not yet posted" list is because he knows you're waiting for me to post our review. :)

For Dave!

Shawshank Redemption

Well that was quite a read. I had never noticed the Id numbers. Your comments about your friend in prison reminded me of the podcast Ear Hustle which is made by inmates at San Quentin.

That must be a very compelling podcast! Didn't know it existed.

For me it is the flow of the movie that is particularly engaging (although the performances are wonderful also). You have a long connection to Mr Freeman, do you think that has you more positive towards the films he is in? That said I am currently hard pressed to think of a movie that is not improve by his presence, he has a gentle hardness that brings so much anchoring/surety/gravitas to a role.

Very well said and I agree wholeheartedly. Mr. Freeman is my childhood friend, so yes, I'm inclined to be positive from the get go.

P.S. I would pick the first (leftmost) of the posters (I should lose my film geek badge for not knowing who she is).

:D  That's Rita Hayworth. I haven't seen Gilda, so my film geek badge may be revoked too!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
I am away at the moment and typing out a reply on my iPad is a pain, so it may be not until next week before I respond to the reviews. I hope to get to a computer sooner for responses. Sorry

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:59 AM »
This is one of the benefits of each person having their own threads.  The Club continues on Junior's thread, and you can take as long as you want.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »
I'm 22 minutes into Sorcerer. Squeezing it in whenever I can. Not my ideal way to watch a movie, but it's what I've got to work with.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2018, 06:32:06 AM »
I know I am way behind. December is a difficult month for movies but I have Mary and Max at home and will watch it as quickly as possible. Sorry for the ridiculous delay.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
Better late than never, right?

Sorcerer - It's been 12 years since I saw The Wages of Fear but based on what I can remember, I'm giving this the same score. They both have the same strength -- beautifully constructed tension -- and the same weakness -- too heavily front-loaded with backstory. Although there's a slightly different weighting here. In this case, I found the backstory more compelling than WoF's, while it seemed like the tense bits were not quite as cleverly done. I say this with the caveat that my memories are pretty fuzzy.

And really, I shouldn't be making comparisons anyway. Does Sorcerer stand up as a good movie, regardless of what came before it? Yes, it does. I do wish there was less buildup, not because it isn't interesting (for the most part, it is... the Bruno Cremer part felt like it could lose a few minutes) but because I wanted time for maybe one or two more hairy scenarios for our protagonists to conquer.

Scheider is great, like he always is, and the other performances were all at least adequate. As a big Tangerine Dream fan, I enjoyed the score and at the same time was pleased that it wasn't overused. Some of the tensest moments were those without music. And the jungle location really gave the whole thing a Herzogian vibe, a man vs. nature undercurrent reminiscent of Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. I really liked how the ending was handled, too.

My wife came in and watched the last 20-25 minutes with me and she was riveted. Rating: Very Good (83)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
This one has been on my to watch list for years now. Definitely more motivated to see it now.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »
Catching up too.

Die Hard

Trying to write about something that is already in everyone else's nearly 30 year old collective conscience is rather silly, don't you think? I might as well have just discovered Santa Claus and then tell you all about the generous gift giver. Ho, ho, hum...bug. But write I must, so here goes.

"The sun is shining, the grass is green, the orange and palm trees sway. There's never been such a day in Beverly Hills, LA. But it's December the 24th and I'm longing to be up north."

And what a day it has been. Papers float down like snowflakes, the flash of red and blue lights are aglow and the crackling fire on the rooftop create a fond nostalgia for films of the past, or is it the future? For isn't Die Hard the watershed for the "one against all odds" action flick? Rousing cheers abound as Saint NickClane picks off one Burgermeister Meisterburger after another and not even Deputy Chief of Police Dwayne "Old Man Potter" Robinson can discourage him. With the help of Sgt. Elf Powell, NickClane cuts through the red tape ribbon and bypasses the ever present protocol to make his rounds. And in the end, Hans GrinchGruber's wonderful awful idea is no match for his foe, because with a cowboy's tip of a hat and a wrist, GrinchGruber's heart explodes on impact. Not even KarlKrampus' attempt to dampen the festivities, can stop the joy, for it came just the same, with reconciliation and hugs with old friends and new. Fahoo fores dahoo dores!

"And that's what Christmas is all about."

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:36:59 PM by Sandy »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
THIS is what Christmas is all about.

https://vimeo.com/18159097

Great review, btw.

love