Author Topic: The Last Jedi  (Read 16207 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Last Jedi
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
I think he said that after being captured he cut a deal, I think the selling out happened after the evil BB caught them.
What deal? They were all captured, what could he have to offer?

The Highs:
-Sea Cow Milk
Agree about the Highs, but this one I've read as a low for many. Just shows that people have very strong views about what they do and don't want to see in a Star Wars film.

The Lows:
-Maz Kanata Skype call felt super cheesy
Yeah. This was the moment that most felt like another movie was being set up.

-Space Dern vs. Poe subplot
I kept waiting for Dern to be revealed as "the string". Did I miss how the Empire was able to follow the rebellion through hyperspace?

-Leia in Spaaaaace (Superman scene)
Sadly, because of this, I wondered why they didn't just make that explosion Carrie Fisher's final moment.

-Finn/Poe/Rey separated most of the movie
Yes, but I enjoyed each of their individual adventures.

I would add the first two actors that speak. Their dialogue isn't natural, but their performances only highlight that. It's like the film started with two friends of the director.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
A Top 100 movie. Be back later (tomorrow?) with more. The first truly great Star Wars movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
1SO is relieved.

aewade90

• Letterboxd:
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
I think he said that after being captured he cut a deal, I think the selling out happened after the evil BB caught them.

He tells them about the evacuating (shieldless) ships, because Finn and Rose talked about it with Poe on the comms right in front of him.

-Leia in Spaaaaace (Superman scene)
Sadly, because of this, I wondered why they didn't just make that explosion Carrie Fisher's final moment.[/quote]

Part of me admires that they didn't do a swift rewrite and stuck to their script, but if the superman moment was in the script from day-dot how in the everliving CINECAST! did that get through rewrites and committees because it's so terrible

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

He let them know about the plan to unload all the rebels to the abandoned planet, that's what Gleeson seemed to say, anyway. I think that's how they knew that they needed to divert attention away from the main ship and look at the transporters. Del Toro told them about that.

I've long held that the Guardians films did more harm than good for the MCU, even though I've still liked a good number of post GotG ones, but it wasn't until T:R that someone could finally do something worthwhile with the Guariansification of the MCU, good point about the humor here, even if I'm with Blake and think it hit more than it missed.

Also, keep forgetting to mention, I wonder if there's a way to apply a reverse Bechdel test to Finn. Is there a scene in the film where he has a conversation and is not talking about Rey?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
Isn't Finn's arc going from caring only about Rey to caring about the Rebellion?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Ah, I see, so I'm Luke Skywalker here, alone on an island, disenchanted and hopeless. And the rest of you are film lovers of the first order.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »
*coughs*

I will reserve final judgment after a couple of rewatches, but I'm not nearly as won over as most people posting here. If I gave pixote letter grades it would probably be a low B- or C+ right now.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
Isn't Finn's arc going from caring only about Rey to caring about the Rebellion?

I guess that makes sense, he does get ready to die at the end, maybe it's just the way the reunion was staged that I still had his focus on Rey.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
I liked this except for two scenes that are quite possibly worse than any other individual moments in the STAR WARS films.

1. Leia surviving that blast due to force-ex-machina. It makes zero sense and it hurts the mythology of the force more than any Midichlorian explanation. It singlehandedly sours what is otherwise a mostly great film.

2. Kids playing with Luke Skywalker figurines in the final scene. BECAUSE DISNEY NEED TO SELL THE TOYZ. This doesn't sour the film as much as the previous scene, but if the Leia scene didn't exist and this one still did, it would still keep me back from overlooking the other minor problems I had with the film.