love

Author Topic: Goals in 2018  (Read 4390 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Goals in 2018
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:56:22 AM »
Not exactly NY Resolutions but more goals or things to work on in 2018.  I keep these to myself most of the time, makes it easy to not worry if I don't accomplish them. But I found I got a bit more focused this past year when having some discussions and challenges with a friend. But I need to do more of it going forward. 

So, I am finalizing what I need to focus on and accomplish in 2018 and eventually post here or somewhere.

Feel free to add yours/
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Goals in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
The past couple of months I've been thinking about this and I think the main thing I want to do is go back and enjoy the stuff I own and spend less time seeking out new things. I like keeping up with new stuff, but I'm probably spending too much buying stuff I'm not taking the time to enjoy because of all the new stuff I constantly chase down. To that end, I've made a couple of plans. Not necessarily ones I think I'll finish next year, but just want to follow for a while going forward:

-Watch most of the movies I own again and see if I still want to keep them.
-Read the books I own and havn't read and reread some of my old favorites I haven't touched in years.
-Play the video games I own and haven't finished.
-Play every boardgame I own at least twice before buying anything new.

Anything I don't plan on revisiting, I'm going to give away/donate. Already started doing this for books and DVDs at the library and they've put a good chunk of them in circulation because I keep my stuff in great condition. I figure if I ever get the urge to revisit it, the library will still have it and it won't be much of a hassle to go check it out.

Beyond that:
-Start writing more again.
-Get some IT or programming certifications

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
Anything I don't plan on revisiting, I'm going to give away/donate.

-Get some IT or programming certifications

These are both great and have something similar but in a modified form on my list that I started building
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:06:35 AM »
Most of what I plan to work on I started about a month ago.

Education/learning:[/b]
Start learning Mandarin (again). I have to admit, I started this a couple of times by going to a class. But I use to travel a lot for work which caused me to miss many classes and I never could keep up. That is pretty much an excuse for being lazy and doing other things besides studying. But now there are plenty of good online resources as well as I have the time.  Now I will try to get at least 1-2 hours a day of studying.

Keep up with my SFDC certification as well as add at least 1 more.

Also, add a few other data mining tools to my skill set.

Health/fitness

I started doing yoga last year and quite enjoy it. So going to try to step this up by going to 2 classes a week at a studio and at least 2 other times at home

I also going to try to correct my posture and mix in a few other exercises each day as well as keep at least 15k steps each day

Play tennis 1 to 2 a week (but need to find more players)

Films

For most of the first half of last year, I lost the access to watch many films but that has changed. Going to try to get back to watching 4 or 5 a week and keep better records. I originally joined here to help myself to learn to think and write a bit better about films or just in general. Though no specific goal, I  will try to be more engaged with contributing to the film side of the forum

Random

Will try to find 1 thing to give up each month that either distracts me or would just be a good health choice.  Since I hadn't checked Facebook since Christmas, I think January will be to give up FB. I know alcohol should be there at some point so maybe I should choose the shortest month for that.  I still have to think about other things to give up or if that is a good idea.

My dog also needs better training and boundaries. 

And maybe last, I do or should get another job. But then, that would interfere with everything above.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »
Giving up Facebook/backing off Twitter was the best choice I made this year. The first big step is just getting rid of the apps and feeling like you have to check it anytime you have downtime.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
Giving up Facebook/backing off Twitter was the best choice I made this year. The first big step is just getting rid of the apps and feeling like you have to check it anytime you have downtime.

I don't have the apps, deleted them about a year ago and never really used twitter much. The biggest pain point is that FB is my main source of information on what is happening on the local music scene. I wish there was a better way to get such specific information or just create a custom feed/email by creating a custom group. I will have to individually check some of the venue sites or musician sites.

I am still growing a list of things to give up but not close to 12 yet.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
Get a new manager.
Write two features.
Sell something. Somethings, ideally.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:50 AM »
Begin a homeless camp that will protest the treatment of the homeless in my city.  Keep that sucker open until people can really get help.

Sell my house about mid year

Move.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
oldkid, what are you ideas about the move? Would you consider leaving the state?
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »
If someone was inviting us to Australia, we'd consider....
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky