Author Topic: Goals in 2018  (Read 4387 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Goals in 2018
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:36 AM »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:41:10 AM »
Ha! I remember that ad!

Not why I'm here though...

oldkid, replied to you via pm.
Texan Down Under

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Love the idea of this thread, this year on New Year's eve I wrote a letter to myself of the things I had accomplished, the things I hope to accomplish in 2018 and the things I would like to improve and work on for the year. Now put away, I'll pull it out next NYE and see how I did. For me this year will be getting through the 2nd semester of my first year of law school, heading to either China or Austria this summer to take some international law classes, and to try and be a better person by giving and volunteering. As part of some pro bono work I participated in ID recovery for Haven for Hope in downtown San Antonio, a very large homeless center. It was an incredible and humbling experience to help people get an ID or birth certificate and to hear their stories, some were just down on their luck and were looking to try and get back on their feet. Those Friday afternoons were just the right spiritual medicine for brutal heavy weeks of study. Additionally, being able to work with property attorneys who brought free services to the victims of the Sutherland Springs incident and the Hurricane Harvey victims in Victoria Texas were also touching. Lawyers seem to have a bad reputation in general it seems sometimes, but getting to see the impact the pro bono and community justice programs have on those in need has really inspired me in my future occupation. So very grateful.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Nice Colonel... I am probably a bit biased but I would push you towards China as being more relevant if you are looking to get international experience.

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
Yeah that makes sense, I feel like Beijing would be a great opportunity, but how is the pollution? From the stuff I've seen it looks so ultra modern, but the big knock is the smog, I'd be there for at least 35 days so I have some concerns. I've done Europe plenty and I'd like to consider international business law, I aced contracts this semester. The food in China I bet is amazing, I love spicy.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
I'll let jdc answer the main China questions, but if I had a choice between Shanghai and Beijing, I'd for sure pick Shanghai.

I absolutely admire the work you are doing for others, Colonel, and the pursuit of your law degree. Thank goodness for people like you and oldkid. The world needs more people with both your aspirations and your kindness.

Good luck as you move forward.  Keep in touch.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »
If you worry about pollution, then Shanghai is the better city. Beijing has more smog as a lot of dust at times from sandstorms that happen outside the city. I like Beijing for the food more than Shanghai but you certainly will find lots of great food there as well.  Beijing is just a lot more traditional in style, culture, food, etc.  Plus it has a has a really nice, small jazz bar that I like though Shanghai has a lot more and bigger places.

Shanghai is usually the more international city for business and foreign companies, so I would think there would be more opportunities there unless you already have something lined up that is in Beijing.

But if you are very sensitive to the air, you may not like being there for 35 days. You could be lucky or you may have to walk around with a face mask.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Finding more time for things, primarily. Dunno how, dunno where but life outside of work has been pretty non-existent, or at least it feels that way.

Night photography seems like something I might enjoy.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »
Hi Tequila! Nice to see you. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »
I'm basically at my all time heaviest (probably not near my all time unhealthiest fwiw, weight is an imprecise measure) so I suppose I need to do something about that in 2018.

love