Author Topic: I don't get it/They don't get it  (Read 4726 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: I don't get it/They don't get it
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »

I don't understand why we still need to make this point, not just about sexism, but any type of behaviour. Isn't it obvious that depicting something and condoning are not the same thing?

Because it is a common misconception about art.  Especially art like mother! that is purposefully convoluted, or Von Trier which seems to constantly be depicting the worst sexist behavior in every film.  It is easy to recognize the abuse but fail to interpret the film as rejecting that abuse.

In the case of mother! Bardem is clearly charming and seemingly loving on the surface, so someone might see him as a protagonist.  You and I interpret him in a different way, but of course, I see Him as me, while you distance yourself a bit more from Him. 

There is a difference between a film depicting sexism and being sexist.  I certainly see mother! as being the first one, not the second.  You can disagree, and I don't have a problem with that.  I hope you will allow me how I read the movie, as long as we both agree that sexism is being depicted.

I just want to know why you think this instead of flat dismissal. Since you're the one who struck through my sentence and rewrote it, it isn't the question over me allowing you to do anything, it's you allowing me.

I used your language to make my point.  That's a common feature used on this board, and it is meant to be friendly.  Sorry if you were offended.

I don't think that Him is portrayed as a protagonist, but as a friendly idiot, whose power is used against Her, often without his knowledge.  Through most of the film, Him's followers take advantage of the house and of Her, which he doesn't see because he is too blinded by the joy of the attention and worship.  Also, the whole film is presented from Her perspective, so we empathize with her point of view, the abuse and harm she suffers.  Him might represent God, but in my interpretation Him better represents Patriarchy, the clueless, powerful ruler who harms Her without knowing or admitting that he is doing it.   People blind Him so Him cannot see what is happening to Her.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Every review I've read since seeing the film frame it as a story about redemption. I had the opposite takeaway: it's a story about not letting go, no matter what. McDormand's character isn't a good person. Rockwell's really isn't. They only pair up at the end because they've run out of options and are going on a foolish, hate-fueled mission based on the opinion of an idiot. They are doing all they can to hold onto their grief and rage, and they will take it out on anyone who gets in their way.
Interesting because I thought the final exchange of dialogue showed they were letting go of their grief and rage.

They drive on in silence.
MILDRED
Dixon?
DIXON
Yep?
MILDRED
You sure about this?
DIXON
About killing this guy?
(pause)
Not really. You?
MILDRED
(pause)
Not really.
They continue on.
MILDRED (CONT’D)
I guess we can decide along the way.

My interpretation was that they were going to turn around long before they got to where they were headed.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »

I don't understand why we still need to make this point, not just about sexism, but any type of behaviour. Isn't it obvious that depicting something and condoning are not the same thing?

Because it is a common misconception about art.  Especially art like mother! that is purposefully convoluted, or Von Trier which seems to constantly be depicting the worst sexist behavior in every film.  It is easy to recognize the abuse but fail to interpret the film as rejecting that abuse.

In the case of mother! Bardem is clearly charming and seemingly loving on the surface, so someone might see him as a protagonist.  You and I interpret him in a different way, but of course, I see Him as me, while you distance yourself a bit more from Him. 

That doesn't tell me why the misconception is common. Seems to me like this is Watching Movies 101. Maybe I would get it in a group of people who've never spent 5 minutes reflecting about something they watched, but that is not quite the type of people who come here.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/