love

Author Topic: Technology and sport  (Read 1183 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Technology and sport
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
I just watched the clasico (Real Madrid v FC Barcelona, aka the biggest game in club football) and noticed for the first time that La Liga has introduced a ridiculous amount of 360 cameras to the Bernabéu stadium in Madrid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJDzHHHsrQ
At one point, they mocked up the first person view of a player trying to pick a pass, basically replicating one of those hideous Google Street View images.
Nevermind the fact that La Liga is currently the only remaining top league insisting that "no, three guys to watch that 344 ft × 223 ft pitch with 22 guys running at atll times is quite enough to spot every infraction in the game", I'm curious what other sports have to offer the viewers. Are there any professional sports where the athletes have body cameras? Any other cool gimmicks I should know about?

Also, why does the Youtube integration work again? Is search back too?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Technology and sport
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
Well, auto racing is probably the leader in having each "player" equipped with a camera.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
The way they frame the action in the NFL/CFL and American football generally has always annoyed me. You start with all of the players in the frame (with the exception of the corners and safties depending on the defensive formation), but as soon as the ball is snapped the camera pushes in on the quarterback, and the receivers running their routes are immediately off screen and you have absolutely no clue what routes anyone is running, what the coverage looked like, how open anyone is, where the holes are, etc. All you see is the QB in the pocket, or the RB pushing through the crowd if it's a handoff. When the QB throws the ball you have no idea of how smart or reckless the pass was, or how much chance it has of getting there until it actually does. Suddenly the ball is caught or dropped or picked off or goes to nobody at all.

Then in the replay they are zoomed in on the receiver and you have no context of the coverage around him, with the exception of the defender who's right there.

I find it all reduces the action into components and you lose the flow and scope of the game.

They have the dangly sky cam. They could, if they chose to do so, frame every play from behind the offence and capture the entirety of the play develop. But no. They are dumb. They experimented with it for one game this season and it was good.

Also, I could completely do without the replays of guys slow motion celebrating or reacting. They love to show that stuff before they cut to commercials. SHOW ME ACTUAL FOOTBALL ACTION PLEASE!

NFL is probably doing the worst job of any sport I can think of in terms of broadcasting their sport. The commentary sucks (except for Colinsworth and Tony Romo), the scripted pre/post/half-time shows are a brain dead joke. There are way to many ads and sponsored segments.

I watch football in spite of their broadcasts it because it's a great technical game that only takes up one day a week and is a wealth of data and fantasy leagues and fun betting options.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »
Also, I could completely do without the replays of guys slow motion celebrating or reacting. They love to show that stuff before they cut to commercials. SHOW ME ACTUAL FOOTBALL ACTION PLEASE!
Coverage for the Spanish league specializes in a montage of suffering after goals, showing players from the team that conceded consternated, wildly gesticulating or simply shaking their heads. A little entertaining but mostly annoying.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/