Author Topic: Gender Recasting  (Read 245 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Gender Recasting
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
First of all, if you haven't read Sam's post on the growing dark side to geek culture, do so. I was thinking of it while reading some IMDB posts about the new Doctor Who being a woman. I think it's a cool idea, but there are passionate Who fans (which I am not) who feel this is the end of the series. That Doctor Who is a Time Lord and therefore can only be male. I casually dismissed it as bigoted nonsense because of similar internet posts I've read about Star Wars being ruined now that none of the heroes are White Males. That making Rey the new Jedi has ruined the series for some.

It got me thinking about if there are any pop culture icons where I would have a similar reaction? And is the problem with me or can I make a legitimate argument against gender recasting. I hit upon two characters and I would love to get your input because both are characters I am passionate about, probably much like Doctor Who fans.

(BTW, do we know if Jodie Whittaker is playing Doctor Who as female or is she a Time Lord in a woman's body, allowing for even more blurring of gender lines?)

1. Indiana Jones - I can't imagine making an Indiana Jones film with a female in the lead role. Actually, I can and it's called Tomb Raider and it's not my fault those movies haven't been good. But if you take Alicia Vikander and cast her as Indiana Jones and lay in the John Williams score, it just doesn't fit. It becomes a completely different type of film.

2. James Bond - The misogyny of James Bond is part of his character, and it's been interesting to watch it change with the times. Even though the popular theory is that James Bond, much like 007, is an alias and not a real name so that anyone can assume the role, if you were to cast a woman as Bond it would change the franchise so much it wouldn't be recognizably Bond anymore.

Something else that makes these roles only gender specific is that I think a black actor could be cast in a reboot. Idris Elba would be great in either role.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
Re: Gender Recasting
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
Re Doctor Who. There are no details, that I have seen, about how she will play the Doctor. I do like either option, as a woman, or as a man with a woman’s body. Given the Doctor has had a male body for 2000ish years the latter would be more appropriate. Mostly I am just looking for more adventures with the Doctor.

Re Bond. James Bond would be difficult to make a woman, then again, it could make a wonderful twist earlish in the movie, where the villain is wrong about who James Bond is.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
2. James Bond - The misogyny of James Bond is part of his character, and it's been interesting to watch it change with the times. Even though the popular theory is that James Bond, much like 007, is an alias and not a real name so that anyone can assume the role, if you were to cast a woman as Bond it would change the franchise so much it wouldn't be recognizably Bond anymore.

Best thing the series ever did was cast M as a woman. So maybe a lady Bond would be just as good. But to be honest, I would just as soon see them try and fire up a totally unique franchise rather than awkwardly try and squeeze a woman into a hyper-masculine role.

AliceGuyBlache

• Take my views with a few gallons of salt
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »
I think Bond should stay male, but there's another side to this that isn't being talked about and that's the case over the implied bisexuality of Bond in SKYFALL that did ruffle some nerd feathers. I am 100% for a bisexual Bond - it makes perfect sense and would be a natural evolution for the character, but I doubt we will ever truly see one. Thoughts?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 05:40:13 AM »
Bond uses sex as a weapon, so why would he only use it on women. The character has changed a lot in recent years, along with the world. The key possible blockage to a bi-sexual bond would be China and its view of such things. I have no idea as to the view of such in that land. It will still be a problem in many places in the west as well, but the possible fallout is shrinking every year. Give it 2 more Bond films then we may see it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »
I think Bond should stay male, but there's another side to this that isn't being talked about and that's the case over the implied bisexuality of Bond in SKYFALL that did ruffle some nerd feathers. I am 100% for a bisexual Bond - it makes perfect sense and would be a natural evolution for the character, but I doubt we will ever truly see one. Thoughts?

Suddenly I'm picturing a Tom Hardy Bond.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

Suddenly I'm picturing a Tom Hardy Bond.

And I'm right back to Idris Elba.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Going in this direction I'd cast Tom Hiddleston.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
I took that implication to be more Bond's confidence of his own masculinity. He's the last person anyone would think of being with a man. Then again, he did sleep with Grace Jones in A View to a Kill, so maybe it's more his willingness to use sex to complete his mission. That scene wouldn't have gone as well for him if he went into gay panic when Silva came onto him.

It's hard for me to view that scene because I felt it was more about the two actors playing it in an unusual way and the director letting them go fo it because it's so different.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
I'm not a an of gender recasting. I would rather people invented new characters, inspired by the original ones if need be.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/