Author Topic: What are you driving/riding/cycling?  (Read 2712 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: What are you driving/riding/cycling?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 01:11:15 AM »
Not had a car in 10 years, only drive about once a year in a rental. My bike is a trek but can't remember the model. My shoes are from Asics

I never got around to renewing my Drivers license back in 2015 so longer drive. Still have my Trek bike that only occasionally gets ridden.  Otherwise, people say they get around by BMW around here, Bus, MRT, and Walk
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 01:31:00 AM »
This is my current bike, which is my main transport to work.

2017 BMC Roadmachine 02

P.S. My one has pedals

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
Still this (2000 Ford Navigator)

or sometimes this (2003 Subaru Forester)

and for fun, this (Schwinn Cruiser)

"I'm a new day rising."

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
My current land and water transportation.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
Driving a 2016 Camry, but about to enter the market as I enter a new phase of my career and life...looking at Mercedes SUV's perhaps something in the GLE class. I really would like a Dodge Viper, the used ones are pretty affordable, but with kids it is not going to happen or be allowed right now lol
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
I've got an '94 Ford Explorer (like this). Parents bought it new when I was 10. I bought it from them when I was 30. Still in excellent shape. I've got the passenger seats out for maximum haulage.

Antares

• Elite Member
  • "Haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
Here's my stable of human powered transportation...

I name my bikes after Greek mythological creatures.

First up, my primary road bike, α Scorpius. 2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL1. This is my sprint, road bike. Carbon fiber frame, Ultegra DI2 electronic shifting. I've snuck up on many experienced riders, 20 years younger than me, and stung them with this bike's ability to sprint at a high rate of speed, in a moment's notice. The first time I rode it, I went from a dead stop to 30mph, in about 15 seconds.

My secondary road bike, β Pegasus was originally purchased to be a back-up beater bike for bad weather. 2016 BMC Teammachine ALR01. This was an entry level aluminum bike, and I only paid $650 for it. But it rode so fast, and so smoothly, that I started doing a lot of upgrading to compliment its ability to fly. One more upgrade in the near future, I'll give this bike DI2 integration, just like my primary road bike.

My third bike, was originally a 2005 Jamis Citizen hybrid bike, which I purchased for $250 back in 2005. δ Chimera, was slated for charitable donation last fall, when I stumbled upon a video on YouTube which showed how to convert it into what is known as a "gravel grinder", a bike meant for off road, but not a mountain bike. This has actually become my favorite bike to ride, and is slated to get an upgrade to disc brakes in the next couple of weeks.

Bike number four, is my newest bicycle. ε Cerynitis is a 2014 Salsa Mukluk 3 fatbike. I walked into such a sweetheart deal on this bike, as karma was smiling upon me the day I walked into the shop and spotted it. I had no intentions of ever getting a fatbike, but I was curious as to the entry level price of one of these. This was the first one I walked up to, and when I saw that it was only $750, I was completely baffled. Then I saw that it was marked as "Used". But I inspected the bike, and there was no way that this ever did more than one ride in the four years of its existence. Some guy bought it, then it sat in his garage or basement for four years, and he decided to trade it in for a different bike. It originally sold for $1,895. How's that for walking in at the right moment?

Finally, this is my all purpose errand bike. γ Cetus is a 2016 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid commuter.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
I haven't had a car this year. I got to the stage where I felt I didn't want/need a car. Also travelling to Sheffield for work was getting more and more expensive,
petrol and parking could easily amount to £75 per week. I've never been a heavy car user anyway, add to the fact I'm able to work from home the need for a car
is even less so. I'm more than happy to travel by bus and tram (see photos below ;D). A combined day bus and tram ticket, a 'Day Tripper' costs about £5, absolute bargain.

I'm intrigued by the number of cyclists on the forum and I think it's something I might consider. I like the fatbike in Antares post,
I think something like that would be Ideal for cycling in and around Sheffield/North Derbyshire for me :)

...edit. Think I might start doing more walking ;D

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:13:43 PM by Monty »

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."