Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 8749 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #310 on: November 02, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
Didn't see it yet, just reading a few reactions after getting home now. Apparently Blizzard got CINECAST!ing HOUSED at BlizzCon today. Straight up booed on stage.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2018, 02:27:41 AM »
What did they expect? They teased some new Diablo news to rabid PC fans craving anything new to play, and they reveal a stinkiní mobile game?  :o

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #312 on: November 03, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »
The best game to be released in years is a mobile game #ClashLyf

I bought the THQ Nordic PS4 Humble Bundle thing, not sure when I'll play it with RDR. Really want to pick up CoD, but probably passing on the B2G1 at Target and waiting for Black Friday. They look like they'll have it for $45 and AC:O (the other game I'd get for the Buy 2 Get 1) for $35. Hopefully Best Buy or Gamestop go cheaper.

Didn't realize there was a Gold Edition of Hitman, not that I have a ton of time to play right now anyway, even with RDR2 I'm like 5 hours deep, but probably would have ordered that for the $100 and the 20% off from Prime when I placed my Hitman 2 pre-order for the early access and because that's one of the few games I'll definitely keep and buy a season pass for, but oh well.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
Making my top 50 video games of all time. Here's 41-50.

41. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Video games have a tendency to want to replicate our world too much. With the potential for anything you could imagine, why not dream of something strange and bizarre? Morrowind does just this, presenting one of the most distinct and rich game worlds seeping with its own mythologies, ideologies, and politics that keep the main quest fascinating all the way up to the end.

42. Resident Evil (2002)

Thereís a school of game design that is so tight, so precise, that each piece of the design is essential to keeping the structural integrity of the game. This remake of the original Resident Evil is such a game. The deliberately slow controls, the enemy designs, and the maze-like mansion make for a true house of horrors where you are scraping by each encounter in a survival horror masterwork.

43. Team Fortress 2

A bit of a nostalgia pick for me, in part because Iím specifically talking about the game as it existed for a brief moment in time and in part because of the experiences I had with the game. Those early years presented a purity of team-based shooting Iíll never forget with just enough classes to give everyone the experience they wanted without overloading you with choices. But my love for it is in large part because it's where I made many friends I still talk to on a weekly basis and thatís one of the most powerful things a good multiplayer game can do: foster real  community.

44. Frog Fractions

Who thought an educational game about fractions would end up making the list? Of course, anyone who has played the game knows the hidden depths of this game as it quickly evolves into one of the most hilarious and delightful gaming experiences you can have. I think it was the history of boxing section that cemeted this as one of my all-time favorite games.

45. Sid Meierís Alpha Centauri

Itís rare that a game sucks away all my free time for a couple of weeks, but Alpha Centauri is one such game. I dumped about 80 hours into it before I cut myself off. Itís too good. The factions that actually behave according to their ideologies, the ability to customize units, the constant philosophical musings and the general sense that thereís never going to be another resources to coexist peacefully make this such a great game that Iíll dive deep down the rabbit hole if left to my own devices.

46. The Last Express

The Last Express is constantly surprising. Youíre confined to a train in which everyone moves about on their own schedules with their own actions and conversations, meaning that anytime you chose to do anything, youíre also missing out on something, which might be the one thing that matters. Itís a rare game in which the characters exist on their own terms instead of waiting around for player character input. It can be heavy on the trial and error side, but thereís nothing quite like it.

47. Hexcells

Thereís a deep purity to Hexcells, an elegance of design that creates for this brilliant experience. Unlike Minesweeper, there is no guessing that has to be done. At any point, given the information you have there is always a process of elimination to whittle down the grid to those correct tiles. Itís all about patience and methodical thinking. Itís the video game equivalent to Sudoku and an absolute titan of the puzzle genre.

48. Portal

Often most noted for its writing and humor, Portal is also a masterclass of design and pacing. The slow reveal of the narrative, the incremental building of the puzzles, and the way the final act becomes this moment of breaking the rules made Portal one of the most memorable afternoons in gaming youíre likely to have.

49. Braid

I have never experienced anything quite like Braid. The melancholic atmosphere mixed with devilishly hard puzzles all underpinned by a surprisingly dark story resulted in a formative game experience. It felt like a game with a soulfulness to it I hadnít felt before, like hearing a folk song for the first time. Many games since have clearly been inspired by Braid, but none have quite captured that lightning in a bottle feeling that Braid has.

50. No Manís Sky

Iím delighted this game exists. Itís one mired in controversy, marketing scandals, and unrealistic expectations, but the end product speaks to my soul. A space game that feels closer to 2001: A Space Odyssey than Star Wars: slow, contemplative and mysterious. Itís not a space action romp, but a meditative exploration of the final frontier, something I didnít know I wanted so much out of a space game.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
Good games here, and some I haven't heard of that seems awesome. Will add 'em to the list.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #315 on: November 07, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »

100+ hours in and I can confidently say that this the best game Iíve ever played, quite frankly, by a significant margin. Iím continously moved and amazed by this world, the characters and the slow burn of a story. What a friggení masterpiece.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #316 on: November 07, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
As we near the end of the year, I'm still left with a lot of 2018 games I'd like to play. No way I'll get to all of these. I've ranked these in the order I'll probably prioritize playing them, which isn't to say which ones I think are better than others but more about how much time I'll probably invest in each one and how eager I am to play it.

Rimworld
Hitman 2
BattleTech
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
EXAPUNKS
God of War
Vampyr
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Marvel's Spider-Man
Just Cause 4
Frozen Synapse 2
Star Traders: Frontiers
Red Dead Redemption 2

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #317 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
Play with me in SSBU! Need to work on my Dorf.

Have to get back to Vampyr at some point too.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »
I really wish I liked Vampyr. The atmosphere/characters seemed interesting, but the messy combat really made it a chore to play (I think I just don't like deliberate animations/Dark Souls-esque combat in general). Life is Strange 2 is pretty rad, though.

I almost forgot that Battlefield V early access is this weekend and Hitman 2 drops on Tuesday. I'll probably sit down and play them for a bit, but it's REALLY hard to tear me away from Red Dead. All my PUBG and Blackout buddies are pissed at me.  :-[

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
I really wish I liked Vampyr. The atmosphere/characters seemed interesting, but the messy combat really made it a chore to play (I think I just don't like deliberate animations/Dark Souls-esque combat in general). Life is Strange 2 is pretty rad, though.
Yea, I think I plan on playing Vampyr on the story mode difficulty as everyone seems to agree the combat is crap. Life is Strange 2 is one I'll probably play in 2019 when it's finished and also on Linux.

Play with me in SSBU! Need to work on my Dorf.
For sure! I missed out on Brawl's network play as I never owned a Wii U so I'm looking forward to finally playing Smash with online friends.

Continuing my top 50 game countdown, here's 31-40:

31. Shadow of the Colossus

Thereís something about the first time you encounter each colossus, the simultaneous majestic  awe mingled with looming dread that youíre going to have to find a way to bring it down. Itís a game constantly at tension with itself, beautiful and baren, awe-inspiring and haunting. Thereís a hallowed feeling to this game, like youíve stepped on sacred ground when you entered this world and no other game Iíve played evokes that feeling so perfectly.

32. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Old-school CRPG design is bonkers and perhaps no more bonkers than this game. Thereís a power where you can talk to the spirit of any corpse, including anyone you kill, and you can kill everyone in this game. If you decide to play a half-orc in this game everyone hates you because everyone is super racist. Or you can play a dumb character which changes the dialogue everyone in the entire game has with you because youíre too dumb to communicate with words. How many people would want to play the game that way? Probably more than you think, but the hours and resources dedicated to that level of reactivity is what makes this game such a gem.

33. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Who would have thought that a Zelda game would be one of the most refreshing and bold pieces of design in the latest generation? After a couple of generations of playing it safe, Nintendo took a chance with systemic design built around leaving the player to his/her own devices. The result makes for one of the most vibrant and reactive game worlds ever conceived. 

34. Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas improved just about everything from Fallout 3. A more cohesive world and story, better combat, richer dialogue, and more intricate quest design. It took cues from old-school RPGs, letting you talk your way out of combat encounters and relying more on letting you express your character instead of forcing how you tackle each encounter. People have played through the game without killing anything and thatís a testament to the flexibility this game allows its players.

35. Into the Breach

Turn-based tactical roguelike strategy mech game is a string of words I didnít know I needed in my life. Most strategy games introduce elements of chance to simulate the real chaos of battle, but here every last piece of information you could want is communicated to you. This makes for a strategy game that feels closer to playing chess than anything else. There are optimal moves and clear plays that are simply better than others. Also like chess, itís a game I feel like I could play endlessly and still feel like there are more layers to peel back.

36. Sins of a Solar Empire

When it comes to real-time strategy games, I have a love-hate relationship. I love the tactics and expansion, but the actual battles are often messy and rely more on twitch reflexes than tactical thinking. Sins of a Solar Empire slows down the real-time elements to such a glacial pace that youíve got all the time to reposition squads, make maneuvers, and enjoy the spectacle of a battle. Itís an RTS you can play with a cup of tea instead of a can of Redbull.

37. Hollow Knight

Iím not sure I like Metroidvanias but I do know I love this game. The simultaneously cute and creepy aesthetic made for this fascinating underground world of bug creatures. Itís the closest a game has come from capturing the lessons of Dark Souls without ripping off mechanics for mechanics sake. Thereís heart and soul here and a deliberate design that makes it more than just another challenging game.

38. Celeste

From the Super Meat Boy school of design, this masochistic platformer physically hurt me to play sometimes. Iíd be gripping so hard to my controller trying to get the timing down on a jump Iíd been stuck on for at least 100 tries. Itís a game that demands a lot from its players, which makes the story all the more relevant as it follows Madeline, a young woman obsessed with climbing the titular mountain while also working through her own personal past. You come for the tight platforming and stay for one of the best stories in gaming.

39. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Any of the first three games in this series could have made this list. Dark Forces is a great shooter with crazy level design and Jedi Outcast is the closest gaming has gotten to making you feel like a lightsaber-wielder. But itís the second game that felt like the full package: the great shooting and levels from the first game while also providing the force powers and lightsaber combat that would make the rest of the series memorable. 

40. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Is it weird that most of my favorite moments of this game are the sailing bits? Running across some random island or encountering the wreckage of a ship are great moments of discovery in a wasteland of blue. Itís also a tight, fun Zelda action adventure with a charming cast of characters and a great aesthetic.