love

Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 32139 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Working my way through Axiom Verge and this game is something else. The asthetic is Metroid on acid and the tools the game gives you lead to some fascinating area traversal and moments that feel like you're breaking the game. It's a delightfully odd game and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
I tried Axiom Verge when it launched and I liked what I experienced, but like I've said before--I'm so burnt out on the 2D "Metroid-Vannia" formula, that it definitely detracts from an otherwise cleverly designed game. I've been messing around a bit with EA Access and Game Pass games on the X lately. Super Lucky's Tale is a delightful, albeit simple, platformer that is a nice palette cleanser from games like PUBG, though I'm only able to play one level before wanting something else. Burnout Paradise Remastered feels dated, but it's fun. Rise of the Tomb Raider looks gorgeous, but the story isn't enough to keep me hooked--I don't remember much from my first play-through, which is pretty telling. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is pretty, but shallow "AF," as the kids say. Oxenfree is interesting and I enjoy the conversation mechanics, though I'm hard pressed to play more than 10 minutes as the story/mystery of the island hasn't really hooked me. The teenage dialogue is well written, though. Skate 3 has Jason Lee in it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Should I get Far Cry 5 for Xbox One X or PS4 regular? (Neither is probably not an option)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
Went with Xbox One even though I wanted to get it on PS4. I don't have a Pro though, and feel like I should at least try and do more games on the One X. I did get Burnout on there, which has been fun.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
I’m taking a break from PUBG until Blue Hole can fix the terrible frames per second performance and abysmal hit detection. I was playing a lot of FPP, but the aforementioned issues combined with system hard crashes (that happen during crucial end game moments) is keeping me away from this otherwise brilliant game. That’s all fine, because a lot of games have come out recently.

I’ve played Sea of Thieves and have enjoyed my time with it (especially with a full galleon crew), however, the lack of content and repetition is very apparent. It’s nothing more aggregious than most games like it (i.e. Destiny), and the core gameplay loop is satisfying enough to keep me coming back.

I also bought A Way Out and my buddy played with me for the first hour or so, and we both weren’t very impressed. The game feels like a smaller scale David Cage game with co-op. Hopefully it will get better in time, but I wasn’t impressed/engaged with my first experience with it. My friend gets to play the whole game with me for free, so that’s pretty cool (especially coming from EA).

Far Cry 5 has a really strong story opening, followed by a weaker open world opening; however, once the game opens up more (and you turn off all of the HUD/UI/Music elements and crank up the difficulty), the game becomes an immersive/challenging open world that feels organic in how you stumble upon missions. It really feels less “gamey” than 3, 4, and Primal. It’s definitely my favorite entry since 2, but you do have to work for it. I’ve heard the co-op is great too, so I’m excited to dig into that when my buddy eventually picks up a copy. Ubi really nailed the feel of Montana (I biked through Montana about 8 years back and the environment feels so real) and this has the best use of HDR since Horizon: Zero Dawn. I’m sure I’ll have more stories/thoughts to share with this game in the future, but I am pleasantly surprised with this one.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Was at a friends for dinner and their kids were playing Fortnite. I played a couple rounds and was horrible, but it was fun so I went home and downloaded it on my PS4 and played it for like 8 hours that day and another 5 or 6 hours the next night. I'm still not very good. Players shooters with a gamepad is not my strong suit, but it's a lot of fun. I'm just amazed how fluid some players are with their ability to build quickly and manoeuvre and cycle weapons. I'm coming into the mix a bit late I think. If I ever win a round of Battle Royale it'll be very satisfying.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
It sounds like God of War is getting rave reviews across the board and that’s cool. I’m still not excited for it. I almost actively hated the first three games, as I thought they were way too “gamey” and the character-action-button-masher genre just isn’t for me. Hearing that this game veers away from that stuff, and that they have an “Immersion Mode” that removes all HUD elements—I’m somewhat hopeful that this game could surprise me. I doubt I’ll ever like Kratos, though. Kratos sucks.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Watched a few reviews of that yesterday and pre-ordered it based on the raves. I thought 3 was ok and that the biggest problem was the sorry and the tone, so this looked to have fixed that.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
Re-started RDR on the X1X this morning just to get a taste. It looks really, really good.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re-started RDR on the X1X this morning just to get a taste. It looks really, really good.

Don’t make me buy that game for the fourth time.