Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 32167 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
Might pencil in some time to play some Life is Strange 2 tomorrow. After their utterly disappointing Vampyr, I'm hoping this is the Dontnod game for me.

Played a few more missions of Valkyria Chronicles 4 last night and it's definitely getting more interesting. I forgot how tutorial/easy the first missions can be, so I'm excited to see how this game evolves. The most memorable parts of the first game definitely came from the latter missions, so I'm assuming it will be the same case for this one. The characters are somewhat annoying. I decided to go with the English VO, which I'm regretting somewhat, but it does allow me to multitask (i.e. look at my phone) during those long story sequences.

I played some of the Forza Horizon 4 demo and it looked/ran great. I'm pumped to get it through Game Pass on Tuesday. Also, is it weird that I'm excited about the 105GB file size for Red Dead Redemption 2? Actually, don't answer that. It is weird.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
Couldn't help myself and I did the prologue for LiS2 last night. It's definitely LiS, but still waiting to get to 'the hook' like how time was in the first one. Or how mouthing off was in the Chloe thing. Either way, regretting it because I'm getting sick and need to still try to hit the gym again tomorrow night so who knows when I'll get to it.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
Life is Strange 2 is starting out pretty strong. Outside of some awkward/stiff character animations, I’m really digging episode one.

The story in Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a slog to get through. I don’t care much for these characters and their sophomoric anime humor and creepy upskirt/underwear jokes. Just get me into the tactical combat, please.

I’m close to beating Dead Cells, I think. I’m on a really good run, with all gold weapons/traps and I just uncovered the last ability rune, I think. I really like this game.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
I've only finished Dead Cells once, so I got the two things you unlock for getting through it, took me well under 100 tries, but something happened with the Switch and it still shows I have zero clears. So who knows.

Just finished LiS2-E1 and I liked it, just a slower start, but really so was S1E1 as well in the sense that Max doesn't get her powers until part of the way through. They hold whatever it will be back way longer here though. Going to spoiler tag a few observations I had:

They need to let your brother change that bloody flannel.

The dog is cool, but a bad idea for these guys to get involved with.

Glad I didn't take that beer.

I made all the little wolf decisions throughout...except for what ended up being the big one, and I did instantly regret it. Lyla was your best friend, and I know Brody said it was a bad idea, but I should have called her. Sure, I know it's easy to get a burner, like he said, but I super regret not calling her back, especially because I justified it as trying to protect her while wishing Sean (bad spelling of that name) would just talk to Daniel about what happened. I guess it's situational in a sense, though it was the only big wolf choice I made, because she's still innocent and keeping her at a distance while she's being questioned is best for her in the long run, while 'trying to protect' Daniel or whatever Sean was doing is only going to be worse for him, but I should have called her. Apparently, as of just finishing it, 65% of people did make that call, and thinking that it's just a game, what's the worst that could happen? Maybe the cops track you quicker, but they're going to get there anyway because they kind of have to at some point. So there was more to be gained than to be lost. I CINECAST!ed that one up...bad. I'm so sorry, Lyla, you are the greatest of the great. I might replay the episode just to change that. And get whatever collectibles I missed. Though that goes against the way I play these games, never once save scumming or retroactively changing decisions. Well, except for...

...in the first game, because the rewinding time mechanic is what revolutionized the genre. You are always, naturally, going to wonder how the other thing would play out, and now you could see it and really choose your own adventure in the moment while still not knowing what exact ripples there would be in the later episodes. Not having that here is really a bummer, even if I get why you can't just reuse that gimmick. It's just tough to go back. Maybe that's why I never finished Before the Storm (it's not, there were other reasons and I will go back to that, but still).

Really want to see how they use the powers. Obviously the story they are telling is way different, but when you think about how deeply connected the rewinding was not only to the way choice changed in the genre, but also how it wove in to the mechanics and gameplay/puzzle solving, I'm still not sold on how whatever it is Daniel can do will be used since it's hard to think of it being anything more than a framing device and gameplay thing rather than something that does interact with how the narrative is experienced in the way the hook blended everything together in the first game. But I guess we'll see, and I'm going to definitely keep playing because I still liked a lot about this episode, these characters (especially Lyla and Brodie), so hopefully they prove me wrong.

Also, I made sure to not steal anything and pay for everything in the store, even though I thought it wouldn't be enough food. But we needed the sleeping bag, probably. So when Sean got so defensive about the shoplifting thing and trying to get out of there, it didn't seem to be in his character, even if I get the larger point that was being made with it.

In the worldwide stats screen at the end, 92% of players promised Daniel that they'd never lie to him again, so I'm committed to keeping that promise already, just going to be super interesting to see how Dontnod puts that to the test in the forthcoming episodes.

Way shocked there wasn't a bear. It seemed so telegraphed that I figured it had to happen. But maybe he got distracted by the car at the front of the park because I left the candy bar. Guess that, too, we'll see in that regard. Either way, I won't forget that I shouldn't run or play dead and just need to throw stuff as his head.

Well over three hours of playtime in the first episode as well, which was great to see, even if that's kind of what I expected.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
Playground Games is going to make one fine Fable game. I’m plowing through Forza Horizon 4 and damn is it fun. They do the carrot on the stick game design better than any other and I’m always chasing that one next race/sign to smash/event. This game is a showcase for the Xbox One X and HDR. I’m in the Winter season now, but all of the four seasons looks great and change the feel of the road/dirt/water/ice. It’s a great time, but I just wish there were police pursuits in this game. I’ll overlook it, just because the whole outlandish Horizon festival event thing is helpful in creating outlandish race designs... just wish they found a way to hook in some Hot Pursuit(s). Oh, and I turned off all HUD assists, race lines, rewind features, turned damage from cosmetic to realistic and also upped the AI to above average—this helps each race feel more challenging/rewarding and less trivial.

Lastly, I checked out the Block Man stage of Mega Man 11 and I really dug the feel of it. It’s pretty challenging/remiscent of the OG franchise. Not sure how I feel about the visuals, but I do like the blocky level design and look of the titular Man. I’ll try to feel this one out more in the next day or so, but it’s got some positive nostalgia vibes going for it.

Oh, and I’m beyond excited for Red Dead Redemption II. I took the week off from work following the release date. It’s gonna be gaaaaame chaaaanger, maaaaaaaan.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:24:17 PM by Solid Blake »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »
Yeah, FH4 is a pretty fun game. Looks gorgeous and I love the season changes so far. Definitely a good post-school chill out game.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
Will probably re-up Game Pass at some point to play some FH4.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
Pro Tip: Turn off the radio DJs in the options menu.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2018, 06:13:40 AM »
But the immersion!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”