Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 32132 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
I am not buying an Assassin’s Creed game this year.

... I won’t get fooled again! *guitar solo*

But seriously, the idea of playing a silly Greek family soap opera set in a HDR glorified open world sounds nice. But factor in that the super meaty RDRII is just a few weeks away and that game will likely define open worlds for the next decade, combined with the fact that I’ve yet to finish an AC game since ACII, I am not buying an Assassin’s Creed game this year.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
Been playing a lot of Magic: The Gathering Arena now that the open beta added the Guilds of Ravnica set. As digital card games go, this one has the benefit of being built on a card game system that has been around for decades and is tried and true. It plays so smoothly and quickly that it's easy to crank out a handful of games in an hour.

Compared to the titan Hearthstone, this one just has so much more nuance to me. Hearthstone's lack of phases and the fact you're only playing stuff on your turn just limited the whole experience.

Duelyst is probably my favorite of the popular digital card games because of the tactical board element, but I could see Magic: Arena surpassing it with enough playtime just because of how dang fast and elegant it plays without losing any of the gameplay nuance of the card games.

I could never connect with the fiddly nature of Gwent, although I heard they recently streamlined that game so maybe I'd enjoy it more now. At this point, I feel like that ship has sailed.

For a while I was curious about Valve's Artifact, but unless it ends up being some piece of brilliant design, I think it's going to be hard-pressed to compete with Magic: Arena for me. I don't particularly like the idea of stretching game resources over three boards. Same reason I felt like Gwent stunk because sometimes you just want to lose encounters while in Magic you're always trying to balance, bluff and feign a lot of different things.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
I had some funny money from work that I was able to convert to Microsoft Store funds. There’s nothing really interesting coming out for the rest of the calendar year outside of what I have pre-ordered (i.e. RDRII, CodBlops4, BFV), so I went ahead and pre-ordered the Resident Evil 2 remake. I’ve got some more moneys left and I’m thinking of purchasing one of the following:

-Metro: Exodus
-The Division 2
-Devil May Cry 4

... any suggestions on which one to get?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »
Whichever comes out first. Personally my order of interest is the one you already have them in, though.

I haven't finished Spider-Man yet, which is likely for the best, because I've loved Ancient Greece stuff since I was a kid and I need to play this AC game...but I can justify holding off for a sale now, especially with RDR on the horizon.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #274 on: October 07, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
I went with Metro.

I'm actually getting pretty excited for Cod Blops 4. Sure, Forza Horizon 4 is a relaxing gem/beauty for thine eyes--but it's pretty shallow, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 isn't hooking me like I hoped it would. Here's hoping that out of all those 4's, Blops will be the one to make me more invigorated about video games and potentially fill the empty Red Dead Redemption II-shaped void that is in my soul right now.

On a related topic, the community of friends who were hardcore PUBG players have all but fallen off that game entirely, mostly in anticipation for Blackout. It'll be interesting to see how PUBG survives with the oncoming onslaught of AAA-designed battle royales.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2018, 03:47:55 PM »
Is there any racing game for ps4 on the level of Forza?

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #276 on: October 07, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
Is there any racing game for ps4 on the level of Forza?

Not really? OnRush is a pretty fun arcade "racing" game, but features fake vehicles/locations and isn't open world. Gran Turismo Sport is very simulation-based and is regimented by race tracks (mostly real life locations). Outside of the remake of Burnout Paradise, nothing really comes close to what Forza Horizon is doing, unfortunately.

EDIT: I suppose the more recent Need For Speed games can scratch that itch, but they're poor comparisons... especially the latest one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:59:10 PM by Solid Blake »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #277 on: October 07, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
Thanks Blake. I'll take a look at OnRush and Burnout, as those sound like the better bet for me (Gran Turismo has always leaned too much into the technical side of things for my tastss). I played the original burnout on GameCube and enjoyed it as a bit of a novelty game, but yea. I'd love a driving game I could really sink my teeth into.

It sounds like Forza has found the perfect balance.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Thanks Blake. I'll take a look at OnRush and Burnout, as those sound like the better bet for me (Gran Turismo has always leaned too much into the technical side of things for my tastss). I played the original burnout on GameCube and enjoyed it as a bit of a novelty game, but yea. I'd love a driving game I could really sink my teeth into.

It sounds like Forza has found the perfect balance.

No problem. I just remembered--The Crew 2 came out recently that appears to be going for the same thing, but it gained a more tepid reception. However, if the idea of driving/boating/flying across a gross approximation of the US sounds cool to you, that might be something worth checking out (it has licensed vehicles as well).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
Real vehicles definitely appeals to me more. :)