Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 32131 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #320 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
Feeling accomplished for having played 5/20 on your list so far. I’m a RE hater though. Celeste is the most recent game I’ve played. About to get Switch Pokémon and Mario Rabbids.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
I'm 14/20!  ;D Glad to see that you're doing this--really enjoy these kinds of lists. I think I put together a list on this forum a long ways back covering my top 20 games of all time. This list would have changed drastically by now... Let me find it.

Ok, I did a quick search in my Gmail inbox and I found this list from 2011:

1. Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
2. Secret of Mana (SNES)
3. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
5. (Cheat) Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (PS3)
6. Counter-Strike: Source (PC)
7. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
8. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
9. Bioshock (Xbox 360)
10. Perfect Dark (N64)
11. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
12. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
13. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Xbox)
14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PSone)
15. Street Fighter II: Turbo (SNES)
16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSone)
17. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2)
18. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
19. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
20. Earthbound (SNES)

... yeah. I'd definitely have to change some up.  ???

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #322 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
You should make a new version!

Here's 21-30:

21. Invisible, Inc.

Turn-based tactical stealth strategy roguelike doesn’t sound like something that should work but it does. Klei found a way to take the plodding deliberation of strategy gaming and mix it with the tense sneaking of a great stealth game. It still captures that feeling of slyly moving past guards and getting past traps but from an unique perspective. Add in the procedurally generated levels and an endless mode and it’s a game that can be played for hours on end.

22. Bloodborne

It would have been easy to keep recycling the formula of Dark Souls but From Software decided to make a game that rewarded calculated aggression over carefully prodding your enemies to death. It’s one of the most satisfying combat systems in gaming. Mix in an evolving horror story rich Gothic and Lovecraftian elements and Bloodborne leaves a strong mark.

23. ARMA 2

A realistic military simulator where you spend a good hour setting up a firefight only to have the fight end in a minute sounds like it should be a bore, but there’s something captivating about the meticulous nature of the game. It involves coordinating with friends and adapting to evolving situations in a way that feels more team-building than any game I’ve played. Or you can always just push the boundaries of the simulation and do something hilarious instead with friends.

24. Resident Evil 2

It’s rare that a game makes me frustrated for missing a shot or I feel like I’ve failed an encounter because it took a clip to down an enemy. Most games give you a surplus of goods, but here each gain is met with more zombies, more targets and more choices about when to run and when to kill. Here, a gun is just a false security blanket. You think it’ll make you safe but it only tricks you into fighting instead of running.

25. Darklands

This is as close as I’ve come to feeling like an RPG captured that sense of role-playing to me. At various twist and turns you’re given menu based screens that give you branching choices to try to solve problems. Combat is so often the default of the RPG but here you could use your athletic ability, or brew up a solution, or maybe pray to the saints to intervene on your behalf. Combat is  one of an arsenal of tools you have at your disposal.

26. Doom (1993)

What can you say about Doom at this point? Doom is playing the cover of a heavy metal album. Doom is ballet dancing with guns and demons. Doom has possibly the best gamefeel of any video game ever crafted. Doom isn’t a game, it’s a state of being. Live, laugh, Doom. It’s a great video game, that’s what I’m saying.

27. The Talos Principle

The puzzling in The Talos Principle owes a lot to Portal, but it’s the story that makes the game so good. The superb story is drenched in philosophical ideas and told mainly through computer console dialogue conversations and a disembodied voice called Elohim. It’s a game that’ll have you thinking on multiple levels.

28. Psychonauts

You could write a book about all the great things Psychonauts does. It’s a compelling 3D platformer with consistently clever level design. The initially funny story gives way to tales about a cast of characters all dealing emotional and mental trauma. It’s a game that deals with mental health without ever feeling exploitative or sensationalized. It’s somehow simultaneously one of the most colorful and zany games you’ll ever play but also extremely dark and disturbing. You know what, maybe I’ll write this book.

29. Chrono Trigger

One gigantic gaping hole in my gaming knowledge is JRPGs. I know just about nothing about the genre. Chrono Trigger is the only one I’ve finished and I love it. The combat in JRPGs always looks like the most mind-numbingly dull thing I could imagine, but here each encounter is a puzzle to work out and it makes the gameplay shine. Add in a great story with memorable characters and an epic soundtrack and this game won me over in a big way.

30. Dishonored 2

The best title of the recent string of immersive sim video game revival, Dishonored 2 leans deep into its Thief roots with a bigger focus on stealth and more powers that emphasize unique problem-solving. It’s the level and world design that still stands as the core strength of this series as there’s nothing quite like sneaking through its elaborate levels as you inhabit a world so unlike our own.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »
Oh, the places you’ll go...

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #324 on: November 12, 2018, 07:40:38 AM »
Quick takes!

I played virtually all of my 10 hours of early access of Battlefield V and I want to play more. The maps are probably the best I've played in the franchise since the OG 1942. It's also encouraging squad play more than any other title before it. It's really good.

After 130 hours, I finally completed the story of Red Dead Redemption II and you should try your best to avoid spoilers. A lot of stuff happens and it's probably best to go in without any knowledge of where the story goes. What a G-D game!

I'm going into Hitman 2 virtually blind (avoiding all gameplay footage thus far) and I'm excited to see how it goes. I'm also going in with all the HUD elements and game-play assists turned off. It's the ONLY way to play.  8)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #325 on: November 12, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
I think I saw the reveal trailer for Hitman 2, otherwise I'm also going in blind. Gonna pick it up after work tomorrow because I didn't order it until this weekend. That should hold me over until the release of BattleTech and I'm also probably going to dip my toes into Artifact since I've been on a card game kick this year.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #326 on: November 12, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
Y'all aren't excited enough about the gaming event of the season. That rad purple dragon is back!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #327 on: November 12, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
Y'all aren't excited enough about the gaming event of the season. That rad purple dragon is back!

Who dat? Does he have a red hat and Italian accent? Because that’s virtually the only 3D platformer that pulls any nostalgia-strings for me.

I’m considering getting Tetris Effect, but I’m also considering holding out and picking up a PlayStation VR bundle on Black Friday with that robot game everyone is talking about. Those games, alongside Beat Saber and Firewall Zero, might make me take the dive. But the cords, and that ugly camera!?! What shall I do?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #328 on: November 12, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
I have to get that robot game and Tetris Effect. Hitman 2 should be here tomorrow, which is cool, I've also not seen or read anything about it, but not sure if I'll get to much of it though between what little Red Dead I have time to play.

Spyro I kind of want to get because I did like those games a good deal when I was younger, and I am more confident they are actually good whereas I knew that Crash was always bad. But I'll wait for a price drop.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #329 on: November 12, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
BTW the PSVR Bundle with Superhot is going to be down to $250 at Gamestop (and maybe/probably other places, looks to be a universal Sony sale, like the Spiderman Slim) on Sunday. The robot game is also going to be $20, so I'll end up buying that for sure.