love

Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 32135 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
Should I get Bendy and the Ink Machine for $20, or is it more streamer bait i.e. FNAF and Hello, Neighbor (both of which I like, HN especially, but the controls are just so god awful.)?

Never heard of it, but yes. I say: BUY EVERYTHING.

I just bought almost every notable PSVR game last night and stayed up way too late messing around with it. I have to run into the lab soon, so I’ll write more later... but, I can say that Astro Bot: Rescue Mission is really something special. I had a stupid smile on my stupid VR-masked face the whole time. Definitely gave me the same joy that Super Mario 64 gave me back in the day. I can’t wait to play more!

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
Curse of Monkey Island - I know the first two games are more revered, but this is the one that's stuck with me.
Grim Fandango - I long considered this my favorite game of all time. I played the remastered version and it still holds up. Not sure I would call it my favorite (a bit too much repetitive running around) but the characters, music, design, writing and puzzles are all of superb quality.

Grim Fandango was the last computer game I remember playing. Liked it very much back then, also the first three or four of the Monkey Islands. Never got into much of anything else. Some early incarnation of Sims(?) maybe.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »
Does anyone know much about sound bars? I don't have the space for a full surround sound set up, but have been looking for a 5.1 soundbar setup to supplement a little. Trying to keep it around $500 on the high end. Seems like Vizio has an Atmos 5.1.2 that just came out which is $350 and seems good, but not sure the Atmos is better than just the 5.1 Vizio I found for like $180-220. Anyone have experience/suggestions?

I'm also wondering/assuming I have to buy stands for the additional speakers separately, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #363 on: November 23, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »
By the time I committed to spending the $350 on a sound bar, it was out of stock. Except at Sam's Club, but I can't use PayPal with them. I figured I'd get the Vizio 5.1.2 with Atmos, but looks like I'll have to wait. I heard Abby talk about her 5.1 Vizio with is still in stock and like $170, much more in line with what I want to pay, but at this point I feel like even if Atmos content isn't 'there yet' I should just wait because it's better to have it than to not if the price isn't significantly more. Again, if anyone can shed light on just about anything regarding sound bars, let me know.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #364 on: November 26, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »
Never would have seen the steep Hitman 2 price cut so soon, even if it's temporary. At least two different places had it for $30 today, almost bought an Xbox copy just to have.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #365 on: November 26, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
Should I buy this Pokemon thing? It looks fun, and I haven't been using the Switch much, even if SSB is coming up.

I've put 40 hours in but now I'm largely done. Things I'm missing from Pokedex are exclusive to the other version (though I'll eventually get to transfer them from Pokemon Go if I find them again), things that require trades to evolve (again, Pokemon Go is an option), MewTwo (because they stupidly give you only one shot at him, though again I could transfer from Pokemon Go), and Mew (because I didn't buy the accessory). There is online battling if I sign up for the Nintendo Online thing, but I'm not convinced that will excite me. The only other gameplay thing is, once you beat the game, there is a trainer specialized in each Pokemon where you do a one-on-one battle between the same Pokemon, and theirs is high level. This would require a lot of grinding to get every Pokemon (and there are different trainers for each level of evolution) to a high level.

Anyway, I think I'm probably done with it. Thinking I'll throw my copy of Eevee in alongside the Pikachu w/ Pokeball as gifts to my nephews.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #366 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:50 AM »
By the time I committed to spending the $350 on a sound bar, it was out of stock. Except at Sam's Club, but I can't use PayPal with them. I figured I'd get the Vizio 5.1.2 with Atmos, but looks like I'll have to wait. I heard Abby talk about her 5.1 Vizio with is still in stock and like $170, much more in line with what I want to pay, but at this point I feel like even if Atmos content isn't 'there yet' I should just wait because it's better to have it than to not if the price isn't significantly more. Again, if anyone can shed light on just about anything regarding sound bars, let me know.

I can't speak to soundbars that much, but I doubt Atmos has any noticeable effect to most non-audiophiles, even with a powered-by-receiver 7.1 channel system. Just go with the basic 5.1 and you'll be fine (and just read up on reviews via forums).

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
I messed around with Red Dead Online and I don't think it's for me. I understand the appeal, I just can't get into coop PvE stuff (i.e. Destiny) and my time in this fictional western is far more enjoyable (for me) as being a member of the Dutch van der Linde Gang. I also don't have to worry about my hunting being interrupted by some gang of teenagers spouting off racial slurs/homophobic diatribes. I also play with free aim, so I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to the online snap-to-aim stuff. That mode is going to make R* A LOT of dough re mi.

I've also been playing a lot of PlayStation VR stuff. As I noted before, ASTRO BOT: Rescue Mission is a revelation and probably the best 3D platformer I've played in years. I also messed around with Tetris Effect, Resident Evil 7, Firewall Zero Hour, Beat Saber, SUPER HOT VR, Moss, and WipEout Omega Collection. VR is a hoot, though I do get some fatigue from playing for more than an hour or so--mostly eye strain and have to take the headset off quicker than I'd like to. I don't suffer from any motion sickness, though--even with fluid movements turned on in games like Firewall or RE7. Virtual Reality is no joke, and I'm excited to see what further potential it has in the medium.

I've also been mixing in some time with Battlefield V, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. It's more battlefield and that's all I want. The maps are great. I'll probably finish the last mission of Hitman 2 at some point, though I don't feel the strong pull like I did with the original... in fact, I think I might have missed the window for the first Sean Bean elusive target? I'm no too stressed about it, oddly. I also need to play more of the two DLC chapters for Marvel's Spider-Man, but again--even with 200 hours under my belt, I'm still loving every moment I can get with Red Dead Redemption 2 (I'm only one perfect cougar pelt away from fully upgrading my camp!).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #368 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:09 PM »
I started playing Stellaris. It's a pretty laid back space empire building game. Something you can play and still drink your drink. I'm enjoying it so far.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #369 on: November 30, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »
Something you can play and still drink your drink.

Truly the most important aspect. This is why I play a lot of racing games.  :o

In reality, after a 40 hour detour into Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee, I picked back up the Mario and the Rabbids turn-based strategy game. It is sufficiently amusing.

love