Author Topic: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)  (Read 8531 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: What are you playing? 2018 SPECIAL EDITION (4 Seasonal DLC Packs Included)
« Reply #380 on: December 09, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
I'd say if you have a pro controller, which you should.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #381 on: December 09, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
I don't have a Pro controller, haven't really seen the need for one. I figured it might just be better for handheld mode. If I'm better off just using a controller I'd likely just buy it on PS4.

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
I don't have a Pro controller, haven't really seen the need for one. I figured it might just be better for handheld mode. If I'm better off just using a controller I'd likely just buy it on PS4.

It's a good controller. Sony should use their batteries for the PS5 DualShock. I haven't turned my Switch on for months and I'm pretty sure that thing is still at full charge.

I downloaded Ashen and though it's pretty cool looking, the Dark Souls-esque gameplay isn't connecting with me. What's up with all these stealth releases as of late (i.e. Mutant Year Zero, Ashen, Below, etc.)?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »
Yea, seems like a lot of surprises have dropped here at the end of the year.

Playing Smash right now just to unlock lots of the characters and boy does the whole spirit system make no sense to me. I've mostly just resorted to playing the classic mode with different characters as the end of each one seems to unlock a new character. Brother comes in Wednesday night, so hopefully we'll sit down and play some then.

For some crazy reason I decided to buy Stellaris. It's one of those grand 4x strategy games you could spend a whole day playing. I'm not sure my plan of playing my first game as mushroom species religious space hippies was a great idea as my two neighbors are quite aggressive and closing in on either side of me fast. I also feel like I've reached a resource bottleneck and I'm not sure how to expand that resource. Might look up some guides at some point, but right now I'm just grasping my head around the main mechanics.

Still haven't made any headway in Hitman 2, still have Rimworld on the backburner. I'll get a three week break for the holidays starting Thursday, but honestly not sure how much gaming I'll get in between all the other stuff I plan to do over the break. Probably more than I think.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »
For some crazy reason I decided to buy Stellaris. It's one of those grand 4x strategy games you could spend a whole day playing. I'm not sure my plan of playing my first game as mushroom species religious space hippies was a great idea as my two neighbors are quite aggressive and closing in on either side of me fast. I also feel like I've reached a resource bottleneck and I'm not sure how to expand that resource. Might look up some guides at some point, but right now I'm just grasping my head around the main mechanics.

You're not kidding!

This is a brutal game to be a newcomer to. It's hard to find guides and tutorials suited to a beginner level that are UP TO DATE. Mostly when you google stuff you get old high level forum discussions written with too many acronyms and slang and are about eeking out .21% more science. I'm just like "how do alloys work?" >_<

The game and mechanics keep getting updated. This most recent update was really big. You can basically throw out a lot of the things you thought you'd learned, because now it's totally different, lol.

That said, it's hard to sit down and NOT play for 8 hours at a time (or kill an hour creating a custom species, haha). I played from about 5pm to 2am last night with a couple of buddies. I feel like I'm learning most by just bungling my way through it. It helps that one friend is experienced and I can just ask him how shit works. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
I was watching a YouTube playthrough made just earlier this year and figured they couldn't have changed that much. I was wrong. New resources, different planet management system and the whole corporation expansion which I do not understand any of at all so far. I have the tutorial on, but it's honestly not explaining that much.

Took me a while to figure out that I needed to expand my housing to get my unemployment down as I guess homeless people have a hard time getting jobs, which makes sense, but when the game designates them as unemployed instead of homeless, I didn't really understand what I needed to do to fix the problem, especially after building new mining and power plant facilities.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »
Brawl Stars is out! (Doesn't seem as good as Clash Royale, but it was always going to be hard to be as good as the best game ever made)

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
Below is out and it is as enigmatic and gorgeous as I'd hope it would be.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I have to pick that sucker up, thanks for the reminder!

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #389 on: December 17, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »
Iím digginí it, but man is it punishing. It took me a little to realize that this was a rogue-like and features the whole find-your-dead-body mechanic and camp fire checkpoints a la Dark Souls. Also, the music is FANTASTIC. Iíll probably dig into it more now that Iíve finished Mutant Year Zero and, man, I wish that game was longer. I really loved the stealth/punishing combat balance, and I fully leveled up my Bormin, Dux, and Farrow. What a great game, just wish it had stuck the landing (at least I know theyíre setting themselves up for a sequel).

I also had a little VR session today. Creed: Rise to Glory was fun, but messy. Iím getting better at Beat Saber and it makes me sweat a lot. I cleaned off my headset, and settled down with Moss, which Iím enjoying the puzzle platforming, but the combat is somewhat frustrating. I also purchased and downloaded Batman: Arkham VR and Farpoint because they were on sale. I messed around with the former for a bit and Iím really loving the Batman detective simulator, while Iím saving the latter for when I break out the AIM controller next. Oh, should I buy Borderlands 2 VR? I never really played any of those game before, but the art style looks like it would fit VR very well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:31:38 PM by Solid Blake »