Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 242 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:19 AM »
Played through a 12 game campaign of a game called Charterstone. We did it with just 2 players and 2 automated players, and had a good time. It would be a really neat game to play with 6 people, if you coordinate it.

We're in the middle of our own campaign (5 games in I think), it's interesting so far. We're also 4 players, but completely blanked on the automated players thing and decided not to go back and fix it, so I suspect our development is a little slower. It's interesting, but the campaign aspect isn't quite as exciting as in something more narrative like Pandemic Legacy.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
What Do You Meme? is a pretty terrible take on the Apples to Apples/CAH formula. So many variations on the same dumb jokes (haha parents + sex = awkward!) and I would say half the time I didn't have a good match to play. Five people in their 30's and 40's needed our teenage houseguest to explain several of the memes, so it's probably not a game for my generation.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
@MT
I enjoy The Metagame more in that respect because it has a brief description of each cultural item at the bottom of the card. It usually sales at B&N and they've got a few expansions coming out this year, one being movies! I played it with several groups and it's been a big hit as it goes all the way back to the 60s.

So many games now want to be Cards Against Humanity style humor and we need to grow up a lot and quit being antisocial jerks at the table. Basically any game that has a NSFW edition or disclaimer is an automatic pass for me. The Metagame does have some PG-13 humor, but it's all stuff kids should know about by now, especially with the Internet.

@tinyholidays
I did just get Hardback last weekend but haven't had a chance to read up on all the rules as I've been sick the last week. Game looks great. Azul is also on my shortlist for games to pick up this year as that one looks like a beauty.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
Metagame looks intriguing.

they've got a few expansions coming out this year, one being movies!

Unfortunately, no one in our circle is anywhere near the movie buff I am.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »
Rising Sun adds monster from Wikipedia.

I find this equal parts funny and sad. It was inevitable that someone would make millions on Kickstarter and accidentally mess up the theme behind the game. Haven't gotten mine yet so I wonder if they're taking this part of the game out.

This is the risk you always make with Kickstarters where the high concept is great but the execution end up not having quality control issuesl. I only backed because it looked like the Japanese monsters is read behind but I guess I should have done research on the stretch goals as well..Still think I'll get a great game but if my copy has the figure, I'm going to shelve it as a reminder to always check your sources.