Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 1963 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:28 AM »
Scrabble
We started with a classic. This was my "family" game growing up. My grandma loved it and we'd always play when we visited. What's there to say really?

Any house rules? We're pretty lax in my family when we play about looking up words. If I recall correctly though, according to the rules the dictionary is only to be consulted if someone were to challenge someone's word. We just kind of use it whenever to look up spelling or to see if a particular two-letter word is a thing, etc. It is however frowned upon to simply go skimming for words at length.

We also count the center tile as a double word, so starting player gets a double word off the hop. Not sure if that is by the book or not.

One tradition I enjoy in our family is that when someone does get a scrabble they record the word, the score, the date in the back of the dictionary.  It's always a fun moment to add to that list and neat to look back and see some of the excellent plays and recognize whose handwriting it was. Our dictionary is from 2002, and is starting to run out of free pages. :)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »
We took pretty much the same informal approach. Dictionary use was allowed if it wasn't excessive, and we also counted the star tile as a double word score. Really like the idea of keeping track of "scrabbles"!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »
My buddy has the Viticulture: Complete Collector's Edition and we've played that quiet a bit. It's a pretty satisfying worker placement type of game. It definitely favours the player who can optimize the order and timing or their future turns (and in that way it gives you quite a bit to ponder while it's not your turn). Lots of stuff to juggle and remember. The interactivity between players comes mostly from the limited number of workers than can be placed on particular slots during a round. If you happen to find yourself in step with another players harvest cycle it can be a real struggle to accomplish the work you want to get done. The various expansions in this set seem to keep the game interesting. I enjoy this one, but you need 3 or better to make it play well imo.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
Viticulture is a nice worker placement! I think it's still in our storage unit in Canada.

We played Great Western Trail for the first time last night and loved it so much we played it twice in a row. And I could've played a third time. A euro in the style of Russian Railroads with deck-building. Moved quickly, didn't feel overprone to analysis paralysis.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2019, 03:35:17 PM »
I've been wanting to pick up Great Western Trail for a while now.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »
It's a very solid worker placement game.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
Havenít been playing many video games this summer; however, the S/O and I have had a knack of playing board games at breweries as of late.

The stand out game thus far has been Shut The Box, a relatively simple dice/luck game where 2-4 players have to roll their dice to close their numbers, with two failed match rolls leading to their game over. We tally up the scores after each game and continue on (each game lasts 5-10 minutes, depending on player count), with the lowest number tally being the ultimate winner. Itís an easily approachable and fun social game to play while allowing flowing conversations/beer to continue on in spite of its presence at the table.

Other than that, weíve also been playing a lot of Rummikub, Super Fight, and Suspend as well.

When at home, my S/O will play Dominion with me, but Iím terrible (and sheís a pro), so that game is very s l o w l y growing on me.  ::)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
I've heard good things about Super Fight. Dominion is one of those games I need to play but so many deck builders look prettier so I play those first.

Just now getting back into board games after a dry spell this summer. I'll try to post some thoughts soon.