love

Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 13085 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
We've played a homemade version of Balderdash. I'm surprisingly good at tricking people with my made up definitions. I think people trust me too much. :)

@ DarkeningHumour     :))   Yes! Now that's what games are for!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
I got burnt out on that game because it used to be the game my mom wanted to play all the time. I've heard boardgamers still consider it one of the better party games, I just haven't ever felt the need to return to it in a long time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
They just announced a Hellboy boardgame. It's a co-op where you go around to locations recovering artifacts and stopping evildoers(combat?) Obviously, we haven't heard many details yet, but maybe this could be a lighter, more streamlined Eldrich Horror?And if this has Mignola art...Oh man, that would just be too much.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
We've played a homemade version of Balderdash. I'm surprisingly good at tricking people with my made up definitions. I think people trust me too much. :)

Sandy: Expert deceiver.  Just one step closer to international spy.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »
The answer is simple. Do no play cooperative games. Buy competitive games and impose your dominance as you crush your rivals' hopes and dreams.

I wish I knew enough gamers to get more into boardgames. Getting trashed every other day is nice and all, but there are other indoor things people can do together.

Why can't the two hobbies be combined?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:16 PM »
Board game cafes are rather big in Europe. The one I have in the states has beer on tap.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 04:22:08 AM »
Board game cafes are rather big in Europe. The one I have in the states has beer on tap.

I don't know that they're a bigger thing here than in North America, some of the biggest board game cafés in the world (Snake & Lattes in Toronto for example) are in North America. It's still a somewhat nascent thing here too for the most part.

Getting further into Pandemic Legacy Season 2, which is even better than season 1. We just finished August, and... things are happening. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it, given my indifference towards the original game.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Played a 2-player game of Terraforming Mars this afternoon: it works surprisingly well with 2 players. It's not even less tense really, because those attack cards are much more worthwile, and drafting to block someone is much more relevant. Really love this game, and I got to win this time (pretty comfortably too). The thematic element is so strong, which is what really elevates those big eurogames (Agricola being the classic example) for me, even though I still like the themeless point salads like Trajan and Concordia too.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
Played through a 12 game campaign of a game called Charterstone. We did it with just 2 players and 2 automated players, and had a good time. It would be a really neat game to play with 6 people, if you coordinate it.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
We had a great time playing Hardback the other night.  It's a Dominion-style deckbuilder, but you're making words. I bet a lot of you on here would enjoy it.

We moved back to Los Angeles recently and had to leave most of our board game collection in a storage unit in Canada, but we've been picking up a few new games for our empty shelves. I received Azul for Christmas. It's an abstract tile-laying game. I really like it but it is very competitive with only two players.